Are there any Scientist that believe in God?

@ you can't run forever - I am not asking to prove the existence of God. You are reading too into the question. I am simply asking because I am curious. Defensive much. I know that personal opinion doesn't prove anything. I also posted this question in the science section.

@ you can't run forever- Thanks for realizing that. That's the problem with this forum. Too many people assume things because they seem to be getting attacked from the opposing view point on here all the time. Some times though everyone has to realize that a question is just a question.

@ Grey Tower - Thanks for the list. The reason I asked it in both sections was so I could get more answers and not necessarily one sided ones.

Favorite Answer

Lots and lots and lots:

Duane T. Gish (biochemist)

John W. Klotz (geneticist and biologist)

Frank L. Marsh (biologist)

Melvin Alonzo Cook (physical chemist, Nobel Prize nominee)

Leonid Korochkin (geneticist)

D. Russell Humphreys (award-winning physicist)

Lane P. Lester (geneticist and biologist)

Gary E. Parker (biologist and palaeontologist)

Gerald E. Aardsma (physicist and radiocarbon dating)

Alexander Arndt (analytical chemist)

Steven A. Austin (geologist and coal formation expert)

Thomas G. Barnes (physicist)

Robert Boyle (helped develop sciences of chemistry and gas dynamics)

Wernher von Braun (pioneer of rocketry and space exploration)

David Brewster (helped develop science of optical mineralogy)

Arthur V. Chadwick (geologist)

Humphry Davy (helped develop science of thermo kinetics)

Donald B. DeYoung (physicist, specializing - solid-state, nuclear science and astronomy) Michael Faraday (helped develop science of electromagnetic / developed the Field Theory / invented the electric generator)

Danny R. Faulkner (astronomer)

Ambrose Fleming (helped develop science of electronics / invented thermionic valve)

Robert V. Gentry (physicist and chemist)

John Grebe (chemist)

William Herschel (helped develop science of galactic astronomy / discovered double stars and developed the Global Star Catalogue)

George F. Howe (botanist)

James P. Joule (developed reversible thermodynamics)

Johann Kepler (helped develop science of physical astronomy / developed the Ephemeris Tables)

Matthew Maury (helped develop science of oceanography/hydrography)

James Clerk Maxwell (helped develop the science of electrodynamics)

Gregor Mendel (founded the modern science of genetics)

Blaise Pascal (helped develop science of hydrostatics / invented the barometer)

Louis Pasteur (helped develop science of bacteriology / discovered the Law of Biogenesis / invented fermentation control / developed vaccinations and immunizations)

William Ramsay (helped develop the science of isotopic chemistry / discovered inert gases)

Lord Rayleigh (helped develop science of dimensional analysis)

Bernhard Riemann (helped develop non-Euclidean geometry)

James Simpson (helped develop the field of gynaecology / developed the use of chloroform)

Nicholas Steno (helped develop the science of stratigraphy)

George Stokes (helped develop science of fluid mechanics)

Charles B. Thaxton (chemist)

William Thompson (Lord Kelvin) (helped develop sciences of thermodynamics and energetics. Invented Absolute Temperature Scale. Developed the Trans-Atlantic Cable)

Larry Vardiman (astrophysicist and geophysicist)

Leonardo da Vinci (helped develop science of hydraulics)

Rudolf Virchow (helped develop science of pathology)

A.J. (Monty) White (chemist)

A.E. Wilder-Smith (chemist and pharmacology expert)

John Woodward (helped develop the science of palaeontology)

And from the UK:

Fred Hoyle, Cosmologist; Dr Francis S. Collins, Gene Pioneer; Rev. John Polkinghorne, Physicist; Rev. Prof. Alister McGrath, Biophysicist; Prof. Frank Russell Stannard, Physicist; Dr. John C. Lennox, Mathematician; Prof. Norman C. Nevin, Medical Geneticist; Prof. John Bryant, Molecular Biologist; Dr. Denis Alexander, Immunologist; Dr. Christopher Southgate, Biochemist; Prof. Sir John Houghton, Physicist, Prof. Sir Ghillean Prance, Botanist; Prof. Bob White, Geophysicist; Prof. Colin Humphreys, Materials Scientist; Rev. Dr. Rodney Holder, Astrophysicist.

Hope that helps.

P.S. How can I post this answer to your question in the Science Section when your account is private and nobody can access your questions?

P.P.S. It's true that Isaac Newton was an alchemist, but he believed in God, which is what this question is asking.

EDIT: Message received and understood. No problem.

there are, but that doesn't prove the existence of that god

Newton was a christian, but he was also an alchemist (believed that metals like iron and lead can be turned to gold)

finding a list of scientists who believe in god is as easy as this

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=theist+scientists

@asker

ok, I might be reading too much into it, but that's only because almost everytime I discussed religion with a theist (I'm obviously assuming you're one), they used that appeal to authority, "well, X believ(ed) in god and he is/was waaaay smarter than you", so I expected this question to be such an attempt solely on statistical grounds

What kind of scientists?

Of course, I wouldn't doubt it. If is the evolution scientists- then they would not believe in God. Think about it- if one believes in god but is studying how "Humans evolved from monkeys" the. What the are they doing there?

But, do you mean, they believe that god is there, or do you mean Christian? Because Satan believes in God.

I predict theists citing Einstein any minute now...

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

- Albert Einstein in a letter to an atheist (1954) as quoted in Albert Einstein: The Human Side (1981)

Yes but most scientists living today are atheists or agnostics and those that do believe in a god are mostly deists.

Sure there are. Just because you're a scientist doesn't mean you can't believe in God.

93% of scientists are Agnostic/Athiest, while the other 7% believe in God.

Yes, many. In the medical research facility where I work, of 8 scientists, one is Jewish, 4 are Protestant. Our department head is Baptist.

Source(s): Catholic biologist

Einstein was Pantheist.

@ Grey Tower - James Simpson (helped develop the field of gynaecology / developed the use of chloroform).....HAHAHAHAHAH, are the two related?

Despite what the worshippers of atheistic interpretation of science want you to believe...there are LOTS of them.

If you would like a good list I would be glad to gather it up for you.

I read a statistic that 93% of scientist are atheist or agnostic and only 7% believe in a god. I don't have the source for this stat though. sorry :-(