Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Do you vaccinate your dogs every single year?

My Labrador Retriever is barely 12 months old and due for his vaccinations. I'm definitely doing rabies, but I'm not sure if I want to do all the other vaccinations. He had all vaccinations from his breeder at 6 and 8 weeks old, but I haven't done any since then, except for his rabies at 16 weeks. However, I did do homeopathic immunizations for parvo, distemper, kennel cough, and lyme disease from 8 to 16 weeks. My vet keeps pressuring me to do all the vaccines every single year, and I just don't think that is healthy for a dog. What do you think?

He is a very healthy dog, too. He has never had anything wrong with him. I bought him from a very, very good breeder, he eats prey model raw, gets homeopathic flea/tick/heartworm control, exercise every single day, never used chemicals on him, well trained, etc.

PetAlive makes homeopathic vaccinations. For example, they make one called PetAlive Parvo-K. It is made with small amounts of the parvo virus, along with several different herbs.

Rabies is every three years where I live. My Lab was vaccinated for rabies at 16 weeks and will be getting another one soon. But, he will not need rabies again until he is 4 years old.

I just don't care for my vet at all. He thinks my dog will die if he eats raw meat, he now wants to do rabies every 2 years, and I think it is all just to line his pocketbook.

@Jennifer ~ I've had titers run on him already. He has immunity to parvovirus and distemper. Homeopathic immunizations contain small amounts of the virus, like small amounts of parvovirus. But, they also contain herbs. The concept is similar to that of regular vaccinations. A small amount of the disease is administered to the body. The dose injected is mild enough not to cause infection, but provides immunity to the disease. Homepathic immunizations are not injections. They are given by mouth in the form of granules. They are made from the disease itself. But, they are safe and non-toxic. They do not contain the toxins and chemicals that regular vaccinations do.

My boy isn't neutered either. I feel I am responsible enough to keep an intact male without incident. I do not want to risk putting him under anethesia if I do not need to.

Some more information on homeopathic vaccinations: Once the homeopathic remedy is administered, this very minute dose of homeopathically prepared disease matter is recognized by the body so that when the dog comes across the disease later in life, the body is equipped to fight it off. Homeopaths believe that the reason that regular vaccinations are so effective is that they work according to the principles of homeopathy: The law of similars, or like cures like. Homeopathic medicines are always prescribed based on similarity to the symptoms that need to be cured. Homeopathy means “similar medicine.”

Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy, discovered the law of similars over 200 years ago: those same symptoms a particular medicine produces in a healthy person can thus be cured in a sick person. Homeopathic immunizations have been used successfully for over 200 years. Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy, used homeopathic immunization routinely in his practice. In 1799, the founder of homeopathy, Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, used the homeopathic remedy Belladonna successfully to prevent Scarlet Fever. Following Hahnemann’s example, another eleven medical doctors prescribed Belladonna during the same epidemic.

Favorite Answer

My dad has a lab mix who has never been to the vet in his life EXCEPT when he had cysts on his ballsack.

He has never had any of his shots and is not neutered.

Other than the cysts, which were caused by age, he is and always has been perfectly healthy.

Shots are not a requirement to have a healthy, happy dog. They just supposedly make it easier.

My puppy had her puppy shots, my other dog had his puppy shots, that's all they need as far as I'm concerned. Their own immune systems are up and running now, they don't need to be loaded up with shots "just in case" they get that disease or this disease.

I DO get them the yearly rabies shot, though, because it's LAW where I live and the vets WILL call the authorities if your dog doesn't get that shot.

• Umm there are only actual vaccines for about 5 of the things on biezo57's list there...

What exactly is a homepathic vaccine?

I'm fine with someone doing minimal vaccinations, but I would most certainly get the core vaccines. Parvo, distemper, and rabies at minimum.

I get my dogs vaccinated as puppies, then at 1 year, and then every 3 years after that.

EDIT: Me too Lindsay B.

As far as the homeopathic vaccines go, how would injecting your dog with herbs prevent disease?

Sorry, I'm all for natural cures when we can, but vaccines isn't something I would go "homeopathic" with.

My opinion, let the vet do vaccines for Parvo, Distemper, and Rabies if you want to go minimal. Please note that because your dog didn't have proper vaccinations as a pup, more than one might be required.

An even better idea, ask your vet to titer test for immunity to parvo and distemper. My guess is that the dog will not show immunity but if it does, then you can skip that vaccine.

I think that it's time to find yourself a new vet. My vet only vaccinates every 3 years, with the exception of Bordetella. Find a new vet and speak to them about a vaccination schedule. A lot has to do with where you live. My vet doesn't feel the need to do bloodwork, either, to check for heartworms, when the dogs have been on Heartgard. Rabies has to be done by law, so you have no choice there, but then again, it's only every 3 years. They've done studies, and found that dogs do NOT need to be vaccinated on a yearly basis. If you Google, I'm sure that you can read up on these studies.

JENNIFER: I've reported the troll that spammed this site with that giant list.

• I think that a lot of vaccinations are unnecessary and can be potentially harmful.

My dogs never got anything but rabies shots and they all led happy long lives without illness. You can get a 1 year or 3 year rabies shot.

Source(s): Dog owner, Groomer
  • ?

My dogs have annual boosters every year but i am in the UK there is a lot of debate on this topic regarding over vaccinating but i vaccinate yearly and others don't be guided by what you think there is no right or wrong answer.