Am I being scammed? Paypal question?

I put my phone for sale on craigs list and received a response from a lady who wants me to ship the phone to her husband in the Republic Du Benin. She offered to pay me via paypal for the phone and shipping costs, but I am a little concerned that this is a scam. How do I know for sure, and can I be scammed via paypal if I am the one receiving the money?

Favorite Answer

100% scam.

There is no buyer.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your possession, your electronic item, clothing or jewelry.

The scammer isn't interested in your identity or bank account only in convincing you to ship your possession to him without him sending you a penny.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be "Paypal" saying "kindly send the tracking number and we will release the funds".

Paypal does NOT send such emails, ever. Paypal does NOT have escrow or money holding services like that scammer describes. Paypal does NOT demand you send a tracking number before money is sent. EVER. No exceptions.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of being the perfect buyer, great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "yahoo buyer's protection program scam", "fake paypal email scam", "ebay escrow fraud" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near victims of this type of scam.

• Louise

Unfortunately my friend, you have been scammed. I dont think theres anything you can do here. You certainly will not get any relief from PAYPAL. Chalk it up to experience and never do a whacky deal like that again ever. Utilize a reputable escrow service and you wont have these kind of problems. This happened to me once, along time ago and although I did get "even" with the seller, I'm reluctant to post exactly what I did here. Suffice to say it caused the scam artist a Law Enforcement nightmare when the police came knocking on his door and they were not inquiring about the scam transaction I got ripped off on..

The paypal received e-mail will appear to be legitimate, but it will be fake. The from address will likely read paypalsomething@anyfreemailprovider.com. If you log in your legitimate account, the money won't be there. Avoid pretty much anything that has you shipping the phone overseas.

Do not ship until you have the money received on paypal, and make sure the shipping costs are included. If they cannot come up with the money, re list the item.

Yes, thats a common scam, they can also take the money back as soon as you say the item is shipped.

Source(s): Me, scambaiter
  • Judy

It's a common scam. And even though their payment might appear to clear paypal, it'll bounce eventually and paypal will bill you back.

Don't sell her the phone unless you can get delivery confirmation from the destination carrier and don't send it there until the money is in your PP account. Otherwise you could be ripped off.