Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 9 years ago

What type of flower do I have?

We planted these bulbs about 2 years ago and every year they would not bloom flowers. This year however they bloomed these little white flowers that hang upside down. At first I thought we had planted tulips because the leaves are very similar to that, but then these white flowers showed up. Does anyone have an answer. They look like blue bells, only smaller and white.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Other names include May lily, May bells, lily constancy, ladder-to-heaven, male lily, and muguet (French)

The flower is also known as Our Lady's tears, since, according to Christian legend, the lily of the valley came into being from Eve's tears after she was driven with Adam from the Garden of Eden, although this seems unlikely, since in Catholic parlance, "Our Lady" refers to the Virgin Mary. Another Christian legend states that Mary's tears turned to lily of the valley when she cried at the crucifixion of Jesus, and because of this it is also known as Mary's tears. According to another legend, lilies of the valley also sprang from the blood of Saint Leonard of Noblac during his battles with a dragon.

The name "lily of the valley" is also used in some English translations of the Bible in Song of Songs 2:1, although whether or not the Hebrew word "shoshana" (usually denoting a rose) originally used there refers to this species is uncertain.

It is a symbol of humility in religious painting. Lily of the valley is considered the sign of Christ's second coming. The power of men to envision a better world was also attributed to the lily of the valley.

What is looks like-

The Lily of the Valley has saveral bulbs on one stem they are smaller flower but very pretty sometimes its hard to remove them are they regrow every year. The stems grow to 15–30 cm tall, with one or two leaves 10–25 cm long, flowering stems have two leaves and a raceme of 5–15 flowers on the stem apex. The flowers are white tepals (rarely pink), bell-shaped, 5–10 mm diameter, and sweetly scented; flowering is in late spring, in mild winters in the Northern Hemisphere it is in early March. And they like to grow in cool areas so you could find them in the shade

I hope you enjoy this wonderful flower!!! ;)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago
  • Tammy
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

If they look like bells hanging, Lily of the Valley is correct! They are very fragrant as well.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Lily of the Valley?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

If they smell very sweet, they are Lily of the Valley.

Source(s): Me. I have flower gardens.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.