Why are people so opposed to the idea of raising a child without the influence of gender roles?

i saw a story recently about a couple who decided to give their child a unisex name and not inform people of the child's gender, so that he/she won't be influenced by gender roles until he/she is at an age at which he/she is beginning to understand gender differences among his/her peers. i don't... show more i saw a story recently about a couple who decided to give their child a unisex name and not inform people of the child's gender, so that he/she won't be influenced by gender roles until he/she is at an age at which he/she is beginning to understand gender differences among his/her peers. i don't understand why this family is coming under attack over their decision. why are people opposed to letting the child understand their gender on their own, instead of letting Mattel, Disney, etc. and other people decide how the child should act?
Update: i still don't get it though. they're not telling the child it can't be their gender. they're just letting it decide on its own how to act. so that the child is not subject to stereotypes like "you're a boy, you have to play with trucks and tools" but if it's a boy and the kid likes trucks and tools, i'm sure they'd... show more i still don't get it though. they're not telling the child it can't be their gender. they're just letting it decide on its own how to act. so that the child is not subject to stereotypes like "you're a boy, you have to play with trucks and tools" but if it's a boy and the kid likes trucks and tools, i'm sure they'd let the kid play with trucks and tools. they're not oppressing the child into genderlessness, they're giving her/him the freedom to act how they want to without oppressive stereotypes.
15 answers 15