Has anyone taken Latuda? I'm scared about the long term side effects. Would the FDA accept something not safe?

My doctor put me on latuda but I'm really worried since it was just accepted by the FDA in Oct.

My paranoia is making it my thoughts about it worse. I'm also worried about how it says there's a risk of Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). Does anyone know how common this is?

I really don't want to be on this medication. But I'm scared to tell my doctor. I would prefer something that's been around longer. =/ What do I do?

Favorite Answer

"What do I do?" -- Talk to your pharmacist and/or physician! They're part of your health care team with the goal to HELP you, and addressing any concerns you have about treatment is one of their main responsibilities. Health care is a team approach, and in this team, YOU'RE the captain. The physician and pharmacist can help guide your decision by discussing what treatments, in their expert opinions, are appropriate for you, but in the end, the decision as to whether or not you follow their advice is yours. Talk with your team, ask any and all questions you have, and make sure the answers you receive are adequate for you to make up your mind one way or another about whether or not you're comfortable with any medication prescribed. The pharmacist and physician caring for you will not be upset or offended for your asking. In my personal experience, it tends to be the opposite - we love it when patients ask questions, because it shows they take their health seriously and will be active participants in their care!

With regard to some of the other points raised in your question, the FDA tries its best to identify potential risks of medications before they are approved. In some circumstances, harmful side effects (usually the very rare ones) are not noticed during early trials by chance alone, and come to light only after the product is approved and used in a much larger number of patients. Even health care professionals are sometimes hesitant to prescribe newly-approved medications if there was some hint in early trials that a particular side effect might be more prevalent than current evidence suggests. In many circumstances, however, the studies conducted before FDA approval are very large and well-conducted, and can usually provide a good estimation of potential risks (especially since the FDA itself has very strict requirements for how the trials are designed, carried out, and reported).

The best thing you can do is to listen carefully to the advice the pharmacist provides, read any accompanying material, and pay close attention for signs or symptoms of the complications described. Report early signs to your pharmacist and/or physician promptly so that appropriate steps can be taken to confirm or rule out a complication of the medication.

(sorry for the lengthy response, but I hope I've adequately touched on the key points you raised in your question)

Source(s): Pharm.D.

No, never taken it.

Yes, the FDA has a record of fast tracking drugs of dubious safety.

Not sure how often NMS occurs with Latuda, but grapefruit juice would likely increase the probability, so avoid that totally. My sister experienced NMS on Seroquel, though.