How does this process work one of getting my roof fixed after hail storm and not getting scammed by roofers?

I just had hail damage to my house and of course roofers came around within a week. They are telling me the roof is totalled which i certainly dont believe it was totalled! There was a little damage Im sure but not much to speak of. Then I called my home ownersinsurance company and all and they got an adjustor... show more I just had hail damage to my house and of course roofers came around within a week. They are telling me the roof is totalled which i certainly dont believe it was totalled! There was a little damage Im sure but not much to speak of. Then I called my home ownersinsurance company and all and they got an adjustor to the house . Adjustor came and he didnt even go on thef roof, he was an older guy and he let the roofer go up there and take pics. WEll then the claim went through and I got 2 checks of 17,000 . It was about 10,00 for the roof and 7000 for my vinyl fance which I didnt even mention getting fence fixed as it only had some dings and dents in it from the hail. Can I now get quotes from other roofers now? My roofer agreed to give me 1000 cash but i really dont feel it will cost him 16,000 just to repair the roof.... If I told the roofer i was just given 1 check of 7000 do u think he would just take that and I could pocket the rest and it would be ok? i think roofer will just say he will take amount my insurance company paid me but i dont feel he should need all the money to repair the roof. please advise anyone that knows what to do from previous experience or just a smart guy that knows these answers!!! thanks any good advice would be appreciated!!! please reply asap I hear roofers try to make out big and take advantage it these situations by just replacing whole roof and getting insurance companies to pay for it..