Could my baby's brain be damaged by this? Really long...sorry!?

WOW I just noticed how long this was! I am so sorry but please read! I was just reading about when the cord is wrapped around the baby's neck at birth and it said When the cord compression is severe or long standing, the baby may have low Apgars and suffer brain damage, which could result in a degree... show more WOW I just noticed how long this was! I am so sorry but please read!

I was just reading about when the cord is wrapped around the baby's neck at birth and it said

When the cord compression is severe or long standing, the baby may have low Apgars and suffer brain damage, which could result in a degree of mental retardation or cerebral palsy. http://www.ivillage.com/what-if-cord-wra...

Well, I was induced and I progressed very quickly and was 9 cm and ready to push by only 5 hours into labor. The nurses came in and I started pushing. Then the doctor came and checked me then left the room. Little did we know, he left the hospital and went back to the office! Which is 5 minutes away! Just the drive alone and we were on the 2nd floor! I am still wondering to this day why he did that. Then they sat me back up in bed and gave me oxygen. Saying there was a woman in the other room in distress. At this point though, she was already crowning. So, I guess I was sitting on her head??? We didn't know at the time that this could be bad but I have talked to a few of the nurses in that hospital that also wonder why they would do that. It put both me and my daughter in danger, apparently. Nobody told us this. I understand that they were short handed that day, but why in the world would my OB leave?! Then the nurses came back in because her heart rate was dropping into the 40's. I started pushing again and they upped my pitocin as far as it would go. They had me pushing when I wasn't even contracting because they were worried about her heart rate. When she came out the cord was wrapped around her neck and the nurse quickly snipped it so she could get it off. No cry. I was freaking out at this point and crying my eyes out. A few minutes went by while they were rubbing her and sticking tubes down her throat. I only heard one little grunt. Then the doctor FINALLY enters the room and stares at her for a few seconds then comes over to me and starts stitching me up. He was apologizing profusely and all I could do is cry because I still hadn't heard her cry. My husband was standing over her holding her hand and crying too. So, this was a very traumatizing experience for the both of us. Then they handed her to him and told him to take her to the nursery. She still wasn't breathing right or crying!!! Why did they not rush her to the nursery? What kills me the most is that they made him and my mom both believe she was fine. But we have video and we can now all see that she wasn't. They just wanted to believe so badly that she was okay. Her little hands and face were purple and I am crying right now just thinking about that video I now wish I had never seen. They got her to the nursery and it took them FOREVER to get over to her. When they hooked her up to a monitor her heart rate was in the 40's. Then it dropped apparently dramatically but my husband won't tell me to what because I am already traumatized enough and so is he, to the point where we don't even talk about her birth. So, they did eventually get her breathing and thank GOD everything ended up being okay. But she wasn't breathing for a LONG time and her heart rate was very low for quite a while as well. I am surprised and SO thankful she is alive. The first few weeks we had her home I wouldn't let her leave my side for anything. I cried every time she did because I was so worried about every little grunt and groan. I had probably called the doctor 15 times the first week she was born. I honestly believe this is all because of what happened at her birth. I now believe I am suffering from postpartum depression...

My question is, do you think she will have brain damage? She had low Apgar scores when she was first born but then they said they did them again and they were higher. I am definitely going to ask my doctor this, I didn't even really think about it because she is doing great and doing everything she should be doing, early! But my second part of my question is, do you think it is the doctors fault? (We do) and do you think we should sue if she has problems or sue even if she doesn't? Or not sue at all? I talked to one of my friends who had him as a doctor and he did the same thing to her. It was his sons birthday apparently and he walked in seconds after her baby was born. Thankfully, her baby wasn't in distress though so she didn't think much of it. I don't want him to do this to other women! It was such a horrible experience for us. The doctor NEEDS to be there. Am I being just a crazy first time mom about this? Or did he really do something wrong?

She will be 8 weeks old on Monday if that is important.
Update: I don't want to seem all "sue happy" but if he did something wrong I feel it shouldn't happen again.