Liberals & Conservatives, Zionists and Anti-Zionists: what are some good books to read on the Middle East?

Let me add: with the noted exception of the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion," please. I probably can't keep Historical Revisionists = Holocaust deniers = gross anti-Semites from answering this question. However, I'm not asking your opinions and won't welcome your replies. I ask my... show more Let me add: with the noted exception of the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion," please.

I probably can't keep Historical Revisionists = Holocaust deniers = gross anti-Semites from answering this question. However, I'm not asking your opinions and won't welcome your replies.

I ask my question of the sane people in YA Politics because a conservative Zionist just replied to one of my posts by saying that "only Americans who have never opened a history book in their lives" could ever agree with my opinions, which are fairly critical of Zionism.

I actually have read a little bit history books, to be honest, and I've read a number of books - many of them somewhat left-leaning -- on the history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict .

But I confess that I haven't read any of the conservative Zionist ones, at least not since high school.

No matter what side of this chronic, messy, violent political feud you happen to favor, what are some books on Israel, Jews & Palestinians that YOU think are worth everyone in YA Politics looking at?

My favorites, for anyone who's interested, include:

-- The Old Testament, including the books of Numbers, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Ruth, Jonah

-- James Michener, "The Source"

-- Leon Uris, "Exodus"

-- Ariel Sharon's autobiography, "Warrior"

-- *** Israeli historian Benny Morris, "Righteous Victims: A History of the Zionist-Arab Conflict"

-- Ze-ev Sternhell, "The Founding Myths of Israel"

-- Amos Elon, "A Blood-Dimmed Tide"

-- Noam Chomsky, "Middle East Illusions: Including Peace in the Middle East? Reflections on Justice and Nationhood."

-- Albert Hourani, "A History of the Arab Peoples"

-- Robert Fisk, "The Great War for Civilization"

-- David Shipler: "Arab and Jew: Wounded Spirits in the Promised Land"

-- Philip Roth, "Operation Shylock" (satirical novel, not a history book)

-- Chaim Potok, "The Chosen" (novelistic exploration of Orthodox
anti-Zionism in the US in the 1950s)

-- ** Thomas Friedman: "From Beirut to Jersusalem"

What other accounts of the Jewish / Palestinian / Middle East conflict do you think should be added to this list?
Category
Politics & Government > Politics