Can you force an adult into a psych ward?

My dad says that he'll put me in a psych ward if I don't stop having depressive episodes. Is it up to me if I want to go or is it up to him still?

I'm over 18 if that helps.

I used to hurt myself, but I don't anymore. I just have depression and hallucinations. I don't wish to harm myself or anyone.

Best Answer

You can only force an adult into confined psychiatric care (Ie- involuntary) if they meet some basic criteria:

1. you have a mental disorder

2. Potential to harm self or others

3. There is no safe alternative other than confinement

You must be independently diagnosed by two physicians at two different times. Laws vary from place to place, but where I'm from they have to reassess the confinement after 24 hours, and then every thirty days thereafter.

It's pretty unlikely anyone will opt to involuntarily confine you to the a hospital unless you have been showing signs of suicidal thoughts or attempts, or have been hurting or threatening others.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.

If he believes that you are a danger to yourself or others, he can contact law enforcement, THEY can do an emergency detention/commitment. Usually they will take you to the nearest hospital, where you would be evaluated, if they deem you are not a threat, then they discharge you, if you ARE a threat, they can in fact admit you against your wil for a set period of time. That amount of time varies from state to state.

Actually State would likely be more important then age, since this is your father. If he sees you as a threat to yourself or others then he pretty much has the duty to send you to the psych ward and let them decide if you are or not.

Yes, actually, it is possible to have an adult committed against their will. Requirements to do so vary from state to state, you could google "(your state) involuntary commitment" to see what it takes where you live.