Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 9 years ago

Why do people choose to live in Tornado Alley?

I just find it hard to believe that so many people choose to live there, when every single year, there are tornadoes.

Favorite Answer

I hate living in tornado alley because I'm terrified of tornadoes but I know a lot of people who get excited by them and feel the urge to hunt them down. Also we have some very pretty country side if your into that type of thing.

• Tony R

Actually with all the tornadoes over the past 100 90% of the land in tornado alley was never hit. I live in Springfield missouri as has my whole family for 100 years, right in tornado alley. Any house I know of of friends and family has never been hit by a tornado. We never even worry about it because like I said the land surfaces that have actually been hit by a tornado are very small. That is because they usually don't stay on the ground that long, and a half mile wide path is not that big when you consider a whole county or state. Your seeing pictures of a tornado ripping through a neighborhood and seeing it as covering a large area, actually it is not. If you look at all the land around it that did not get hit. I think the weather channel makes things look worse than they are. like hurricanes. They only show that areas close to the eye that got the worst winds. Most areas under the hurricane had minor damage. That is because wind speed drops a lot once you get 20 miles away from the inner part. The actual hurricane is hundreds of miles wide. I also live in south florida part of the year and have had many conversations down here with people about how the weather channel reports hurricanes.

Tornado Alley Live

There are many reasons people live in Tornado Alley. The big one is money, cost of living is lower here than on the coast. And some live here because of family. Every person is different. And every area has their own problems. I have lived in Kansas my entire life and have been through many severe thunderstorms. Only recently have I had to deal with the shock and aftermath of a devastating tornado. It's just what we have to deal with. THAT'S WHY THEY MAKE SAFE ROOMS AND BASEMENTS!!! Everyone that has ever lived here knows that the possibility of a tornado is big, we just chose to take that risk.

So are we crazy for living here? Maybe. But I wouldn't change it for a thing.

Source(s): Personal experience

I live in California and the chances of a earthquake are WAY LESS LIKELY of happening than a tornado...in fact tornados occur every year. It's a given whether a small one or a big one..the biggest earthquake I've felt was no more than a 4.0..in the past 18 years of my life.

The only one I remember was the one that woke me up...but nothing in my house broke, no injuries..nothing. I would rather live in California than tornado alley ANYTIME...yes it may be drastially cheaper but why put your family at risk for cheaper?

There are plenty of areas in California that may be just as cheap as well. I live near San Francisco so I am defending why I live here. To me this is the best place to live..no hurricanes, no tornados, and rarely any earthquakes and the ones we do get are so minimal and last for only a few seconds...while tornados last way longer.

Source(s): I live in California and have traveled all around Cali. :)

I assume you feel the same about Californians and earthquakes, New Yorkers Coloradans and snowstorms, and any one who lives in the East or Gulf Coast because of Hurricanes. Just where do you believe the only place to live in the US is? You must also be against any sort of public assistance for any other reason as well, as if would follow a consistent logic. People CHOSE to do drugs, have kids they can't afford, buy houses they can't afford.

• ?

I was born and raised in Oklahoma. I hate the tornadoes, but aside from the weather its actually a nice place to live.

I have also never come face to face with a tornado in my life, or had damage done to my home due to weather. i'd rather live here then somewhere with hurricanes or earthquakes.

I lived there for 34 years and never saw a tornado. Its not as bad as you think.

For some of the same reasons people live on the coasts, where hurricanes are a problem. Many people just love the area. It's actually very beautiful in most of those areas.

And also, cost of living in pretty low. I'm sure that is a big deal to most people.

Cost of living is VERY low in places like Oklahoma. Property is cheap and food is inexpensive. Population is also more spread out and not dense like cities so that would result in a quiet living environment. Living in places like OK is also slower paced not as hectic.

Source(s): My grandfather lives in Sallisaw, OK