How is Italian Pizza different from American Pizza?

I was just asking because I always wanted to know. When ever I go to a Italian restaurant, I always get pizza. I just never knew how it was different. Thanks! :)

Favorite Answer

An Italian pizza *made in Italy* is really really different from an American pizza and even from a lot of "Italian" ones made in the US as well, since most of the them are just exploiting the name.

A true Italian pizza have a thin crust made with flour, yeast (natural) (*) and water. Nothing else.

An American pizza have a thick crust, you can possibly also find oil or other fat inside.

The topping on an Italian pizza is very light compared to an American one: the most popular in Italy is "pizza margherita", which just have meshed tomatoes, mozzarella and basil; a spoon of extra virgin olive oil after cooking. Between 300 and 350 calories, typically. Obviously other recipes include different or more toppings (mushrooms, olives, etc) but no way close to a the most typical "pepperoni pizza" eaten in the US, up to 1000 calories, greasy and fat, impossible to find in Italy (the closer is called "pizza alla diavola", because of the spicy salami).

Note that "peperoni" in Italian actually means "bell pepper", it's not a kind of salami.

"chicken pizza", another popular one in America, is unknown in Italy.

(*) In a typical pizzeria or restaurant in Italy the dough must raise up to two days.

EDIT

Conley, "Stria" ("stria" = "strega" = "witch") is actually not a pizza, is more properly a "schiacciata", a kind of focaccia. It also have starch in the dough, something you don't find in a pizza.

Source(s): I'm Italian
  • rigell

Pizza In Italy

Generally, pizza here doesn't have as many toppings as in the US. When it does have multiple toppings, they may be separated onto different parts of the pizza. When you order a pizza, each person gets their own. Where I live in Emilia Romagna, you can get something called stria which is basically a pizza without mozzarella. It's often served as an appetizer - generally this will have a very simple topping like garlic or rosemary or parmigiano reggiano cheese and balsamic vinegar (exceptionally good).

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/yd5jE

Americas go for either thick or thin crust, New York or Chicago styles, more exotic non meat items, Italian pizza in Italy is pretty basic, not much cheese, simple tomato sauce, fresh herbs and olive oil before baking, I worked in Japan in the 1980's for a hotel chain and there it is an American base, with a sweeter more Asian inspired sauce, toppings can be different like squid, sea urchin, eggs/tamago an egg omelet like thing, picked ginger and plums, fried fish, shrimp even when cooked mayonnaise topped ones. I had one with squid it was nice but chewy. I am from Canada and we like American style but we do more health toppings, whole wheat and gluten free crusts, less cheese, more veggies, tend to eat it as a snack not a meal.

italian pizza american pizza

You see the difference with your nose, your eyes, your ears, your mouth and the blessings of your tummy.

It is impossible to explain the difference with words:Neapolitan pizza and American pizza are two separate different worlds. YOU HAVE TO TASTE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE PIZZA HOMELAND:NAPLES

Source(s): An Italian surfing the Net

American vs Italian Pizza. The world is completely different in the making of the pizza. Almost no similarity. REAL Italian pizza will make your mouth water when you see it BEFORE its cooked.

Italian pizza is generally, not always wonderful. American pizza is generally, not always bot mostly, a pile of vile garbage.

Source(s): I have eaten both.
  • Italian pizza is usually made with more herbs & spices to make it unique & they put many more toppings.

American pizza is usually made with the standard crust but now dominoes has put more herbs in there pizza crust & they have put more toppings.

Source(s): me