How can I get my baby back to sleep without nursing him?

Every time my 4 month old wakes up he wants to comfort nurse in order to go back to sleep. He hates pacifiers and I didnt know of any other options. He sleeps in a co-sleeper beside our bed. Thanks

Because he wants to nurse every time he wakes up...like every 30 minutes! I want him to be a ble to self sooth. Of course I will nurse him if he is hungry!

Favorite Answer

Just like yesterday, K is here to upset people, not answer questions.

Anyway, I had this problem with my daughter and looked to my sister for advice. She told me to make sure that she is fed all the way. Try waking him up if he falls asleep while nursing and have him comfort eat just a little more. Stuff him full! Hopefully he will sleep longer with a very full tummy. If this doesn't work you can always sleep while he is nursing or against your breast. Lay on your side and put baby to breast laying next to you, once he is finished he will unlatch and you will be in a comfortable position to fall asleep. Good luck! I know that must be exhausting, but he will grow out of it eventually. Maybe he is going through a growth spurt.

K- when is she supposed to sleep!? Nursing every 30 mins!? Around the clock? How is that physically possible?

Hmmm...

I could understand this better if this whole 'he wakes up to nurse every 30 minutes' was happening while he was in his own room in a crib, and you have to make an effort to get up, go to him, sit in a chair and nurse him while fighting sleep, etc etc. But you say he's sleeping in a co-sleeper next to yo. So I'm having a hard time understanding why this is an issue? Co--sleepers are designed with the thought in mind to keep baby close and nurse promptly when baby awakens. So, you take baby into your bed and nurse laying down with him next to you, allowing you to relax and drift off to sleep with your baby next to you.

Allowing him, especially at this young age, to cry (because he WILL, babies want milk and are hungry when they wake up) is detrimental to his mental development and seriously jeopardizes the unconditional trust he has in you as the mother. What I'm saying may sound harsh, but it's much more harsh to actually implement all of this. He's 4 months old, not 4 years. He depends on your for EVERYTHING.

And on top of it all, 3-4 months is very common for growth spurts. It's very exhausting, but it passes, nothing is ever permanent.

If you want to put your baby to sleep in 20 seconds you must get the "Instant Baby Sleep" MP3 sound track. Here is their official web-site: http://www.instantbabysleep.net

The sound track gently produces energy over the full human hearing spectrum with an embedded pulse that gently eases the brain to the Alpha state well known for drowsiness and sleep induction.

Maybe he has teething pain, has it been going on for long?. My son has been doing this for a while coz his gums are sore and he just suddenly stopped taking a pacifier. All i can do is nurse him or hug him.

"Soothe." You fantasize about him being able to "self soothe," not "sooth."

But he is FOUR MONTHS OLD; he has no internal resources upon which to draw to soothe himself. You are trying to, quite lazily and coldly, get out of a very basic part of parenting.

He will need you to put him to bed properly for quite some time yet. But then he won't, and those years will really fly by, and once they're gone you absolutely will not be able to go back and get the cuddles you missed out on. So why not just make with the cuddles and milk now?

He is designed to nurse to sleep and the fight you are trying to fight with him is an exceptionally stupid one, unpleasant for both parties. And trying to take cheap shortcuts with parenting is never good for the kid; I mean, if you do not absolutely love this baby and _want_ to provide as much maternal comfort as you possibly can -- better birth control in the future should be a priority, as that is not a healthy way to approach the whole mothering racket.

You may find some of the information here

http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/index.html

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detsleepthrough.html

to be of interest.

(And it sounds like you misunderstand how nursing works. "Of course I will nurse him if he is hungry!" -- yes, well, he needs to nurse, so nurse him. Your breasts are not bottles. He needs to nurse when he needs to nurse to keep your milk supply where it should be, and to keep the fat content just so {frequent nursing = higher fat}, and so on and on. If he is nursing every half hour, he is having a growth spurt -- common at 4mo -- and needs to up your supply to meet his new needs, and the way to do that is by: frequent nursing.)

Have you ever used Pull Your Ex Back strategy? Visit at this place : http://www.ExRecoveryFormula.com . It may probably save yourself!

Why don't you just nurse him?