Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 9 years ago

Can you help me abide by Ohio knife laws?

Firstly, is it better to carry a knife “concealed” or out in the open, on display? I’m asking if it’s more acceptable to carry it on your belt, showing it to the world, so you’re not hiding anything, or if that is worse, because it may intimidate someone? I honestly have no idea - I’ve heard that if it’s “concealed”, that is worse.

If a folding knife is clipped in the pocket, with only the clip visible, is that considered concealed, or not?

Are the laws different for fixed blades? I am curious if my Strider SMF is illegal to carry as a “TOOL”, not a “Self Defense Weapon” - the blade is under four inches, and the cutting edge is barely over three inches. I find this a valuable tool that I CANNOT get confiscated - nor do I want to deal with the hassle of fighting a battle over a court case.

What about double egdes, like on the Gerber Guardian Boot Dagger?

I enjoy High Quality, and I don’t want to use a knife that is too small to fit in my hands - I feel that is more dangerous - for me. I chose the SMF because it’s ergonomics and size fits my body. I wear XL gloves, and shirts, so I should be allowed to use a knife that fits my hands - (I hope).

The only folding knife I know of that has a large, ergonomic handle with a small (under three inches) blade is the Emerson CQC-14 Snubby - I had one, and it was a piece of junk. Even after getting it pimped with a Titanium Framelock - plus you can’t find them anymore...

Does anyone know of any other (High Quality) folders (Titanium Framelock Preferred) that adhere to the large handle / small blade thing? I know of the Spyderco Leaf Storm, but the handle is too small... Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks, OSIFFER, but those laws are VAGUE. I guess any cop can confiscate ANY knife from me, if he good and well feels like it. What a bummer. Purposely vague laws like that are a cop out. How can I adhere to no specifics? A sharpened pencil can be deemed a “deadly weapon” as well as a butter knife. What a terrible state to live in, for knife aficionados. I can’t even take my tool to work, for fear of a cop wanting to add it to their personal collection. They can always say whatever they want, and “justly” steal my steel from me. Exactly what I thought. Purposely vague laws that no one can adhere to.

Favorite Answer

Here are the laws.~

§ 2923.12. Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.

(B) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 [2923.12.5] or 2923.1213 [2923.12.13] of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed hangun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, who is stopped for a law enforcement purpose, and who is carrying a concealed handgun shall fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun.

(C) (1) This section does not apply to officers, agents, or employees of this or any other state or the United States, or to law enforcement officers, authorized to carry concealed weapons or dangerous ordnance and acting within the scope of their duties.

(2) Division (A)(2) of this section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a handgun and acting within the scope of the officer's, agent's, or employee's duties;

(b) A person who, at the time of the alleged carrying or possession of a handgun, is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 [2023.12.5] or 2923.1213 [2923.12.13] of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, unless the person knowingly is in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 [2923.12.6] of the Revised Code.

(D) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under division (A)(1) of this section of carrying or having control of a weapon other than a handgun and other than a dangerous ordnance that the actor was not otherwise prohibited by law from having the weapon and that any of the following applies:

(1) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes while the actor was engaged in or was going to or from the actor's lawful business or occupation, which business or occupation was of a character or was necessarily carried on in a manner or at a time or place as to render the actor particularly susceptible to criminal attack, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(2) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes while the actor was engaged in a lawful activity and had reasonable cause to fear a criminal attack upon the actor, a member of the actor's family, or the actor's home, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(3) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for any lawful purpose and while in the actor's own home.

• cilley

I dont recognize roughly ohio yet in maximum states if the blade is smaller than your palm its criminal i moved from pensylvania to washington state and the regulation exchange into the comparable. additionally in virginia new jersey and delaware so a techniques as i recognize except the regulation exchange into replaced or i exchange into instructed the incorrect answer once I asked my kin that lives in each and each state. I own somewhat some and that i like to experience risk-free ever considering the fact that a knife exchange into pulled.on me so i constantly ask