Guns: Buying guns online in California and sales tax.?

I live in California. I would like to buy guns online. I notice that there is no sales tax, since I'm buying from another state. However, would CA sales tax apply if i were to ship it to a FFL dealer in California? In addition, what about ammo or any other accessories that I may purchase?

Edit: I was thinking of buying from impactguns.com or http://www.budsgunshop.com, anybody else purchased from here?

Favorite Answer

Dave is right. due to the high FFL fees in California, most of the time its actually more expensive to buy the gun online than in California special ordering thru a dealer. for example, my hi point c9 cost $155 from a dealer in California. if i bought it online i could of got it for $115, but the extra FFL fee would of killed any savings I could of made. in fact, it would cost me $40 more.

sales tax only applies if you buy the gun thru the dealer from California. if you buy the gun outside and have it transferred thru a dealer, there is no tax.

Source(s): it is true that California is trying to enforce some stupid law that makes you pay tax for everything you buy, regardless of where you bought it. I'm not paying it, California has enough taxation, I'm not paying for more tax, they'll have to do my taxes for me and then come to my place to collect if they want it that bad, which would actually cost more than whatever i'm supposed to pay. (which is the whole point)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): guns buying guns online california sales tax: https://tr.im/zpSCM

There actually is a sales tax that you're suppose to pay. However, the State of CA does not enforce the law. The current Governor, Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown (Demo), is about to change that law. The buyer is actually suppose to calculate the tax owed and send it in to the Board of Equalization. The law has been on the books since 1934, but not enforced. The tax burden is placed on the end user and not the seller. The current "Bill" will change that shortly and force the sellers to collect the sales taxes. Attached is the full story on this topic.

There is no sales tax if they do not have retail presences in CA. If you order from riflegear you will pay tax, but if you order from another FFL or website thats out of state you pay NO sales tax.

BUT, your FFL will charge you a "transfer" fee on top of DROS. And the cheapest I found is $50 for rifle + $25 dros, $40 for handguns and $30 for pistols. Anything after the 1st transfer is $15 and you can DROS them together.

It only makes sense to do this if you are purchasing SUPER cheap and maybe order multiple firearms. Otherwise the sales tax is kind of the same as the transfer fee.

Source(s): personal research and exp

It is not your responsibility to worry about the sales tax, it is the sellers as he is the one who collects and pays it quarterly. If he doesn't collect it, than it is on them, not you. As for Buds, they are great, can't speak of Impact as I have never purchased from them, but I have heard good things.