Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 decade ago

How pervasive is Yakuza influence in Japanese Sumo Wrestling?

Dear eguru: I do not block anyone, feel free to email me anytime. :)

You want to give me a massage? lol if you are one of those 15yo obsessed with anime please don't contact me.

• area52
    Favorite Answer

Hey man, don't call it Sumo wrestling. Because Sumo is not wrestling.

Sumo is Sumo, one and only.

Yakuza's influence? According to the media, their exhibition tours to local cities (Jungyo) have some connections with local Yakuza. Since the regular six Basho are not held except in Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka and Fukuoka, exhibition tours are very important for the Sumo association to entertain the local people and recruit prospective young boys to the Sumo world. Jungyo itself is a good-will performance, but, as in the case of entertainment world, Yakuza money is reportedly working behind the scene.

• eguru

I am not a Japanese police officer but I've read that yakuza love gambling. Several decades ago they were very much into horse racing and sumo wrestling but now these places don't seem to let them in (I guess).

By the way, if you could unblock me I want to send you a massage and discuss Japan with you.

honestly....i recognize that i visit take somewhat some flack over this yet i'd truly watch Sumo wrestling than international Wrestling entertainment. Sumo is a plenty respected ( a minimum of in Japan ) genuine game it is over one thousand years previous. regardless of the reality that the fits commonly final below 2 minutes.....those are adult men who've truthfully been bred to be Sumos & have experienced their entire lives striving to alter into Yokozuna. i think of the action in a Sumo contest surpasses genuine collegiate wrestling & additionally surpasses the cleansing soap opera " appearing " which the WWE is in the present day starting to be. the form is that throughout the time of Sumo you get 2 minutes of genuine wrestling & in WWE you get 10 minutes of a wrestler speaking right into a microphone interior the hoop which could be observed via a 2 minute " pretend " wrestling tournament.