Why is Windows Explorer constantly crashing?

I've recently updated Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit with Internet Explorer 9 and System Readiness Tool (May 2011). The problem has just started today. I cannot open any Windows windows from the Start menu, and I need to to access important files. I'm aware that a browser is able to search through your... show more I've recently updated Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit with Internet Explorer 9 and System Readiness Tool (May 2011). The problem has just started today. I cannot open any Windows windows from the Start menu, and I need to to access important files. I'm aware that a browser is able to search through your computer, but I'd rather not do that. Any help would be appreciated.
Update: Thanks for the answers so far. I know Vista fails... I have ESET NOD32 Antivirus and Firewall, if that changes anything, but I haven't watched any porn on Google Chrome after Firefox stopped working, and I had NoScript and ABP on Firefox.