Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

What do you infer from this new report by Duke University?

"Study suggests 'born-again' believers have smaller brains"

"The study, funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Templeton Foundation, included at least two MRI measurements of the hippocampus region of 268 adults between 1994 and 2005.

It found an association between participants' professed religious affiliation and the physical structure of their brain. Specifically, those identified as Protestant who did not have a religious conversion or born-again experience — more common among their evangelical brethren — had a bigger hippocampus."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-05-25-b...

Opponents do not dispute the facts of small-brain size, but they do dispute the theory expressed that 'born-again' people are a minority.

Favorite Answer

lol, I've also read that devout Fox News viewers are 25% less intelligent than the rest of the population.

I've also read that some studies have detected a causal relationship between Christianity and Obesity, given that there are not dietary restrictions in Christianity, it just might be accurate.

I heard that Einstein had a smaller than average brain. Is there any evidence linking brain size to intelligence?

And how big was the difference in brain size? If a difference is statistically significantly different, that doesn't mean the difference is significant in terms of size. If the difference is a few cells out of a billion in their study, what does that prove?

And there are a million possible variables to consider. It could be that certain Protestant WASP groups have slightly larger brains due to being from certain ethnic groups. Maybe Scotts or Anglo-Saxons have larger brain sizes than certain other ethnic groups. Maybe the type of hymns they sing in mainline churches cause brains to be larger. The causality directions could go the opposite direction. Mainline churches may be more affluent, and attract affluent people, and affluence may correlate with brain size. Again, where is the evidence that brain size correlates with any measure of intelligence.

Interesting finding if it is valid, but how useful is it? What conclusions can be drawn from it.

Why don't they put down the journal, if there is any at all, where this thing has been published? Maybe its still in the white paper stage.

Hello, Paulina. I hope you've been well.

I don't do links, but I'll go try and find the article in USA Today.

Off the top of my head, however, I'll say this. 268 adults out of the entire population of those professing to be "born-again" ... which I assume is in the hundreds of thousands at least ... is not saying much. Oh and over 10 years??? I call foul. :)

But you always have interesting questions and ask them respectfully.

Sounds like they know about as much as they did when they put the innocent lacrosse team through hell.

Remember when they believed a skank http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ska... and a hooker above their own students?

The political correctness is not only wrong but shameless. I would believe nothing that comes out of that corrupt insttitution!

Until Proven Innocent: Political Correctness and the Shameful Injustices of the Duke Lacrosse Rape Case

http://untilproveninnocent.com/

Well what else would you expect from a college that was founded with money from America's largest cigarette company? You think Christians have been kind to them over the years?

• Hiway

Considering people use so little of their "big brain" as it is as proven by science I don't think it matters much.

Not born again here, but Christian.

Oh that using only a portion of their brain applies to you also. But nice attempt to try to troll the Born Again community here that so negatively affect your life in virtual reality...

Hippocampus?

Doesn`t that mean horse field?

Clipitty clipitty clop.

Yeah, now I think about it, I can see their point.

• If any man be in Christ, he is a new creation. Shouldn't be surprising their brains are a different size.