? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

What is the origin of "stan" in the names of many nations, like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Turkistan?

It is painfully obvious that some ancient language had the root word "stan" that was used in naming nations in that part of the world. What ancient language? What did it mean? My guess it originated from an ancient empire (Pursia?) and the word "stan" was used to give meaning for territorial names that are providences of that empire. Am I right, close, or not even close?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Method
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The suffix -stan (-ston, -stān, spelled ـستان in the Perso-Arabic script) is Persian for "place of", a cognate to Pashto -tun and to Indo-Aryan -sthāna (pronounced [st̪ʰaːna]) (स्थान in the Devanāgarī script), a Sanskrit suffix with a similar meaning. In Indo-Aryan languages, sthāna means "place", and is cognate to the Latin terms state and status (meaning "to stand").

The suffix also appears in the names of many regions, especially in Central and South Asia, areas where ancient Indo-Iranian peoples were established; in Iranian, however, it is also used more generally, as in Persian and Urdu rigestan (ريگستان) 'place of sand, desert' and golestan (گلستان) 'place of roses, rose garden', Hindi/Sanskrit devasthan (place of devas, "temple"), etc. Both suffixes are of Indo-Iranian and ultimately Indo-European origin, the Proto-Indo-European root being *stā- 'stand,' which is also the source of English stand, Latin stāre, and Greek histamai (ίσταμαι), all meaning 'stand,' as well as many other words, for instance the Russian word стан (stan) meaning 'settlement' or 'semi-permanent camp' (used in reference to semi-nomadic settlements encountered in certain areas of Central Asia) or in other Slavic languages such as Serbian/Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrin where stan means 'apartment' in its modern usage, while its original meaning is 'habitat'. Also in Germanic languages the root has survived, for example in the words Stadt (German), stad (Dutch/Scandinavian) stêd (West Frisian) and stead (English), all meaning 'city'.

The suffix -stan occurs in the following names, mostly toponyms:

• Istan = Place to live, Pakistan = Land of the pure, land on which pure ppl live, pak means pure

Lv 7
    9 years ago

It must be from Russian.

I looked up стан in Google Translate and the translation is "camp".

The word, стан, isn't in my little pocket dictionary.

• i don't know the origin, but it means state, as in nation state.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It was reflecting of Mughals emperor countries.... not more than that..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.