Aka asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 9 years ago

Do you think how a persons name is spelt has an influence on if they get hired or not?

So if you if you were named Destinee or Neveah on a resume or some other unique or creative spelt name do you think that has any effect on wither they get the job or not.

Best Answer

I'd like to think not, but in all honesty, if I were hiring someone, and two candidates were both equally qualified and interviewed well, I'd be more likely to choose the one named Charlotte, Linnea or Imogen than the one named Nevaeh, Destinee or Princess. It's the same with Charlotte vs Sharlitt, Amelia vs Ameelya, etc. Obviously it's not fair, but a name is generally the first impression an employer has of someone, and I would argue it impacts that first impression as much as good or bad grammar in your resume.

--------

EDIT: Book of Char I agree! I work in Early Childhood settings {currently a preschool aide}, and when we get the lists for the new year, a lot of teachers go through and point out who they think they're going to have trouble with. Needless to say, I always assume we'd have more trouble with a Kayden than an Oliver. However, I must point out that if you've been teaching long enough, you can develop bias against 'normal' names too. For instance every Blake or Olivia I've taught has been really cheeky, so whenever I see a new one on the list I brace myself, even though I recognise they aren't actually all naughty lol!

I think it can do. Employers receive a lot of job applications, and they need to narrow them down somehow, and the name might be one of those ways. A name like Elizabeth or William sounds intelligent and refined, whereas Destinee or Kaydyn doesn't look as classy or educated. People don't always match their names and once they meet you it won't matter so much, but if they haven't met you then it's possible that they will judge by your name.

Also, there was an article a while ago that said when teachers look down the register on the first day of term, they subconsciously identify some children as troublemakers based on their name. It doesn't mean they're right - I did work experience in a primay school and one of the most polite, well behaved and intelligent girls was named Morgan-Leigh, which before that I wouldn't have seen as a very classy name. But it happens, and that's why I think it's best to give your kids a sensible name.

• MK

Honeslty, I think it does subconsciously. If I was calling people for interviews and Elizabeth Banks and Destinee Banks or Precious Banks had the same qualifications, I would probably call Elizabeth. There are just certain names that are hard to take seriously.

Yes, at a subconscious level. If you are looking for a reliable employee, and you have two identical resumes, with one named Destinee and the other named Caroline, Caroline looks more traditional, more reliable. If Destinee is a rocket scientist, no one will care how she spells her name, though. ~ ~ ~

Elizabeth

• cat

I'm thinking probably. When one doesn't meet the manager/person who will be hiring when they hand in their resume (sometimes the manager isn't there or it is e-mailed in) your name is what your manager will be basing their first impression of you on.

It's not a particularly good thing, because the way someone's name is spelled doesn't define them, but to a future employer I can see it definitely having an impact.

Yes initially it might have an impact. Once they meet the person and realise they are switched on then the whole name thing disappears. I think it's just a first impression thing

• Kim

Yes it does matter. It shouldn't but it does. My brother for example, his name is Byron wasnt getting many call backs from his resume he added III to the end of his name, made it look more respectable, he gets tons of offers. some from the same company he sent the original.

So yes, unfortunately, it does matter.

• No, not really? Name shouldn't matter, it should be the skills for the job that matter :)