Are there any canadian universities that offer exchange programs to S.Korea or Japan?

i want to study in Canada (preferably in Ontario, but not necessarily), probably journalism(/communications) and i was wondering if any universities offered an exchange program in S.Korea or Japan (preferably S.Korea. sorry for being picky again). i am very interested in gaining the experience of living and studying in one of those two great countries which i happen to love the cultures of, but i want to study in Canada for the most part, so i was wondering if exchange programs in those areas of study were offered. if not, then even an opportunity of traveling there to gain an educational experience that will help my studies and be quite interesting would be amazing, so do any universities offer that? Thank you. =)

(note:universities that i have in mind are Carleton and UBC..although i'm not certain UBC offers a course in journalism =S does it? anyways, once again, thank you)

i want to study IN English =S i just want to go to these countries, not study in korean or japanese if that's what you understood, study in English. but thanks anyways, i guess? Does anyone have any more information?

Favorite Answer

Hello!

Go to UBC. I'm currently in my third year of UBC in Economics and I'm leaving to study abroad in Tokyo, Japan in April 2012. Before I entered my first year, I was researching frantically about exchange programs and I found out that UBC had the best exchange program in Canada (one of the best in the world actually).

Okay, if you go to the link I have provided, UBC offers FOURTEEN Japanese universities and FOUR South Korean universities to exchange with!!!! That is really amazing because if you compare to other universities, our partnerships are extremely impressive. UBC has partnerships with the TOP Japanese Universities including: Tokyo University (#1), Osaka University, Keio University, Waseda University, and Sophia University which are all very prestigious schools in Japan where several Prime Ministers have graduated from. As for South Korea, well most schools only have a few partnerships with them because of the language barrier but four is actually plentiful for that country.

Anyways, if you want to compare, you can look at SFU (its near UBC). SFU only has 4 or 5 schools in Japan that are partnered with compared to UBC's 14.

Now you said you wanted to study in English. I believe 11 out of the 14 schools on the list offer English programs for foreign students. I was researching and most of them provide at least a selection of 20-50 courses in English. Depending on the school, you may be taking 3-7 courses per semester. (The credits vary)

Just to let you know, getting into exchange is quite hard. I believe you need a minimum 3.0 GPA to apply and you must submit an application with an essay and other things. I was recently accepted into exchange with Sophia University in Tokyo, Japan which is one of the harder-to-get-into schools. I picked that school because they offer a good Japanese language program and a plethora of English-taught courses. The school is also in the middle of downtown Tokyo which is very convenient.

Anyways, I've been researching for a really long time about studying abroad in Japan and it's finally happening so I have a lot of resources and information that I'm willing to share! I'm also a UBC student so feel free to contact me if you need any help.

I would think that any university that offers a program in Korean or Japanese would have study-abroad opportunities.

Just realize that such programs are usually quite competitive and expensive.

I was lucky enough to get into a program for Japanese and I cannot tell you how invaluable that experience was.