Camera too heavy for jib crane?

Hi, I just bought a 12 foot tommy jib crane, for my cannon x1-h1, I also bought a pan and tilt motor that you put on top of the camera mount at the end of the jib and then add your camera on top of your motor mount. This thing is really heavy now, I have to use 40 lbs for a counter weight. On top of that all the weight is making the jib slanted and shooting crooked. So I took off the motor head and just left the camera on there, and it help a bit, but its still crooked. Is there any fix for this other than buying a more expensive stronger jib crane? It shoots great and I know I can fix the video in post, but it just bothers me. Any help?

• Mmm J
    Favorite Answer

I agree with Palladin.

According to Tommy jib

http://www.tommyjib.com/index.php?route=product/pr...

the 8 foot crane is rated to handle cameras up to 9 pounds. This means 9 pounds on the crane stage.

According to Canon, the XLH1

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional...

is 8.3 pounds.

Assuming you are using a Bescor (or "Tec") remote pan/tilt head, they are about 2.5 pounds (I have one) - and you need to know they are rated for use with 6 pound (or less) cameras. Using a heavier camera will quickly burn out the motor or strip the gears. Other pan/tilt heads are either heavier - or rated for lighter cameras... or REALLY expensive.

When you added the pan/tilt head (and the cable) to the camcorder, you exceeded the supported weight rating of the crane and the crane stage. Then, when you put 40 pounds of counter weights on, you went way over the engineered capacity of the crane arm resulting in the bend. If you continue using this even in the lightened state (without the pan/tilt head), plan on the crane arm completely buckling resulting in catastrophic failure and the XLH1 dropping to the ground with a pretty good thud - or at least providing you with that "OMG!" stomach turning feeling as you watch the crane arm fail and become totally useless while the camera hangs at a funky angle.

And since you did not tell us which tripod you are using, it is likely that the tripod is on the verge of collapse, too. Not many are rated for 40 pounds... But you did not share any tripod info with us.

There are some of the reasons I invested in a Kessler camera crane, tripod and Hercules head. It is way over engineered. I can stand or jump on the tripod and it does not budge. It even has an optional kit to add a seat (handy for dolly shots). The crane arm and stage are rated to carry much more than the weight of the camera (I use Sony HDR-FX1, HDR-FX1000 or Panasonic AG-HVX200 cams - among others), video light, mics, cables, remote pan/tilt head and closer to around 15-17 pounds of counter weights.

• lare

i don't know what went wrong, but the manufactures recommends using only 15 pounds to counterweight the 12 foot tommy jib. you may have assembled the works improperly. i don't understand why you would be using a motor head, you should set up your shots head-on and use the supplied arm to keep the camera level or on shot. put marks on the floor for the talent if you have too so they can stay in the shot. i have used 10 foot jibs with the Panasonic WV-D5000 which would be at least as heavy as the XL H1 and not used any counterweights, just lockdown the tripod.

You have twisted Jib. You could get a helper or friend or two and see if you can bend it back. That's what you get for not reading the manual and seeing what the gross weight you could support with this Jib. If you are not comfortable trying to bend it back, leave it and operate with a bent jib. If you want to support that combination, you are going to need to know the weight of the Camera and motor system so you can get a Jib that can handle that weight.

Bend in your jib is because of many reasons.First your camera setup is heavy. Secondly you have put large counterweights on it. You exceeded what your jib/crane is engineered in. Because of large counterweight, your jib tend to bend and it was crooked. Call the customer service from where you have purchased and ask them for the solution. See what they can do to your bend jib. For the next time, keep in mind to read the manual and follow the instructions which comes along with the equipment.

http://www.flycamdslr.com/hdvs/proaim-kite-33-tita...

http://www.flycamdslr.com/hdvs/proaim-film-product...