Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

B&A: Could you name three reasons why you are writing your novel? +BQ:)?

Your reasons why don't have to be paragraphs or anything. They can just be one-liners. The point of this post is to just motivate people to keep writing. I think this will be my motivational question day. I don't know. I'm kinda bored but also in a feel good generous mood and I like all of you people here in the Books and Authors section. I know that nobody will probably read this but I just posted it up here for you guys just in case. No harm in that right:)

To motivate you further to continue writing, I will name three reasons why I would like to read it:) Now, these are just my own personal reasons but I believe that they may go a long way towards motivating you to continue and not give up because of daunting expectations.

MY THREE REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD WRITE YOUR NOVEL

1) I love literature. There are plenty of great books that I have read and come to love but as an avid reader I am always wanting to immerse myself into new and fresh characters. I kind of want new characters that I can relate to and a new world that I can escape to. Quite frankly, there won't be any fantasy world/fictional world that will be quite like yours. A new world will give me the opportunity to escape from everything that I feel has become so monotonous and unexciting. If you give up writing your novel now, then I will never be able to have that opportunity=/

2) Your characters have stories that need to be told. I like to read a book where the author has thought of their characters as real people in a sense living in a fictional world. I love to relate to characters. I mean, of course I could meet real people in real life but I won't be able to meet anyone else like the characters in your novel. No two people are the same right? And I am sure that your characters have unique qualities that I won't be able to find anywhere else. Everybody loves to have friends and people they can relate to. If you don't create those characters then I will be missing out on a possibly great person. Kind of like I'll my very own special friend who I can cuddle up with at night when I am alone in my bed:)

3) If you don't write your story then who else will? Nobody else in the literary world will be able to come up with YOUR idea. Not J.K Rowling or Stephen King or Jane Austen or Suzanne Collins or Dan Brown. Nobody else will be able to. Besides, they have ideas of their own and while that is all fine and dandy I have a few of their books. But I kind of am looking for something new. I want to read a novel through a different voice. I love the Harry Potter books and The Hunger Games but I have read them already. That experience is over. I can keep reading them over and over again but I still want something else. You are kind of the only person that can give me that opportunity.

Well, those are my three reasons why you should continue writing your novel (novella). They may not be much but they are something. I just wanted to give you my honest opinion as to why you should never give up on writing your novel cause somebody out there needs a world to escape to and a character to relate to and you can give that to them. I am not the only one who shares in these same reasons. I am sure there are millions of others like me who feel the same way.

But this is how I individually feel about it. :) I can't wait until your novel is finished<3

BQ2: What is your novel about?

BQ2: Is your heart...broken or whole?

BQ3: Have you ever been in love or are in love? How did/does it feel?

Thanks for reading everyone:)

LOL damn. Fail on the first BQ 2 BQ 2.. go figure Denmark:)

Favorite Answer

Yay, fun question! Here - have a star :)

I have lots of reasons for writing my novel, but I'll just tell you three.

1) Writing makes me feel alive.

I come to life when I write. I get to be someone else, to discover a part of myself I never knew I had. If I weren't a writer, I don't know who I would be.

2) I get to create the very thing I love the most - books.

I've always loved to read, and as a writer I get to create books for others to enjoy. Not only can I escape into my own world, but I get to create the door that lets others into my own world too.

3) I can express myself through my books.

Writing is the purest expression of my own emotions. I can pour my heart and soul into the pages, telling a story that no one else will know. They're a representation of everything that I am. If I died today, my writing would be left for my loved ones to hold onto.

That was more general rather than my reasons for writing this particular novel. My reason for writing this novel is probably that I love this one. It's my favorite idea so far, and the more I love it the better my writing will be.

BQ: What is your novel about?

It's about three girls who get shipwrecked on an uncharted island and discover magic. There's a lot more to it of course, but that's the gist of it :)

BQ2: Is your heart...broken or whole?

Right now it's kind of broken. Death will do that to you.

I've had passing crushes, but I haven't been really in love before.

1. I love to read. Ever since I was a little girl I loved it. I remember trying to read when I was younger and just holding the book and telling my own story to it. That's when I learned that I loved to write or- as I called it when I was little- "play pretend" stories even more than I loved to read. That's when I decided that no matter what I did, I would write at least one book before I die.

2. I like to create stories, as I said before. I love the thrill of writing a story that, even if it is cliché, it is MINE. I made these characters, I made the story, I made the thoughts all click together. I love the feeling that I could be broke, and living in an alley, but still own those characters. Because I made them. And that's a great feeling.

3. I like to see the look on people's faces when I see what they wrote. Or hear their reactions. That's the best thing in the entire world. It could be horror, because a murder is attacking the main character, or delight because she finally got the guy. Or it could be disgust at my horrible writing. Either way, it's a reaction, and I wouldn't change a thing about it!

BQ1: I have two that I'm sort of bouncing back and forth from. Yeah, I know. Bad idea to do that, and it'll give ya a writers block faster than anything else, but I can't help it.

First one is about a war and a girl and her brother have to join the military or else they'll blow up her town.

Second one, is a detective story. I haven't fully polished all the details yet, but it's coming right along!

BQ2: Hm.... A bit confused at the moment. Not quiet whole, but not yet broken. If that makes any sense.

BQ3: I'm still a mid-teenager. I don't think that I've truly felt love yet. But even knowing that, I would still like to say that I have. Don't think that I have, but I would probably say that I have.... It felt... Crazy? Like I wasn't always sure how I felt.

The novels I'm currently working on have already been written, but here's why I wrote them and am now editing them:

1) I really had no choice when it came to writing these novels. They were and still are a huge challenge (especially research-wise) to me, but giving up has never been an option. When I got the idea for the series, it was literally almost like something possessed me to pretty much not rest until I wrote the whole thing down. I was immediately fascinated and enchanted by my main characters (the protagonist in particular) and the plot developing in my head, and to this day I still believe they're the main reasons I saw this through till the end.

2) I really believe that some of the themes in my novels are issues that need to be discussed and understood better in our society. I use my writing, among other things, to expose issues that are important to me and topics that I am interested in.

3) The subject matter is something that I am extremely interested in (my only other passion besides writing, actually), so it wasn't like I was going to lose interest in the project anytime soon. Writing a novel about mental illness taught me a lot of stuff I'll need later on about psychiatry, which is what I'm studying in university. I actually enjoy most of the research I do for these books. What was really cool was that writing the series kind of let me do a super-involved pseudo-case study on the mentally ill characters in the story. I got to observe my protagonist's progress through 17 years of his life - the course of his disorder, the evolution of his symptoms, medication, therapy progress, the professionals he consulted, etc. I also, of course, got to go into details about how the psychiatric profession (my future job) is practiced in North America. The challenge? Making sure all of this stuff is accurate!

BQ1: As you might have guessed, it's about a guy who develops a serious psychiatric disorder.

BQ2: Somewhere in between. Not because of a person, though. And it's healing... slowly.

BQ3: I could probably say once, but the "relationship" was weird and didn't last long enough for any kind of real romantic attachment to develop. But I really cared about him, and still do.

1. Because if I don't write my characters only have voices in my head which is not good for me or my sanity.

2. I love writing - it has become habit and possibly the only thing that I can completely rely on - as sure as the fact I will have food for dinner is that I will write at some point during the day.

3. If I don't write my amazing idea (sarcasm's great isn't it?) then who else will?

BQ2: What is your novel about?

Boy, this could take a while... Basically about a detective who, about a week before his wedding, finds the body o his fiance's father - murdered.

BQ2: Is your heart...broken or whole?

Whole, just. I think I have enough sellotape to keep it that way.

Probably not in love in love but definitely nearly and for the past year, it's made me feel pretty darn good. :p

• 1) I love to read.

2) It gives me something to do. I hate to admit it, but when I first started writing it wasn't really a hobby. I was ill one afternoon so I wrote a random paragraph on Word and it was then that I realised writing was something I could enjoy.

3) I've always wanted to read a novel like the one I'm writing now but I couldn't find one, so I decided to write it myself.

BQ1: It's a high fantasy novel where five people (a mage, druid, warrior and rogue like in the mmorpg games) have to stop the evil bad guy from taking over the world. Okay so that doesn't really sell my idea, but it's much better than it sounds. The protagonists aren't Mary Sue's/Gary Stu's and the antagonist does have a reason why he's like he is.

BQ2: Whole. Nobody has broken my heart thankfully

BQ3: Haha no I haven't. I've had crushes but I've never kissed anybody, not even a peck. I don't think I will ever 'fall in love' but who knows? My prince charming might be around the corner.

My main reasons are:

1- I have a huge love for fantasy and science fiction, I wanted to write a novel, just for the fun of it. I might even discover some hidden talents (who knows), I am totally enjoying this!

2- My English is so bad. You might notice how my grammar is a mess, I know, English is not my first language, so I am trying to improve it by learning more vocabulary and expressions.

3- I think there is a book that I really really want to read, this book is not published yet. I guess it will never be published, unless I start writing it :)

BQ2: What is your novel about?

My novel is about space colonies LOL :)

BQ2: Is your heart...broken or whole?

ahahahahahaha

nope, so I don't know how it feels like :)

My 3 reasons:

1) I loved my characters so much that I couldn't help but just write about them. I'd had this idea in my head since I was 11 and about a year ago-when I was 14-I just couldn't help it anymore and just wrote and wrote and wrote. I don't regret it though. I loved my characters so much. They mean everything to me.

2)I love to write. I lose myself when I write. I become someone else and it's amazing. It's your world where YOU can create what YOU want. If somethings not going well in your life and you feel like your losing control, when you write you CAN control it. It's amazing, really. You can create the characters, what you want to happen to them, what you want them to be like.

3) I love words. I think that words are beautiful and NEED to be wrote. It amazes me that words can have the power to do so many things. Because, really, if you think about it, words are the most powerfulest things in the world. Most of what you feel is down to something someone had said. 'Deeds not words.' I don't believe that at all! Sure actions meet a lot to, but words can change lives! Words put in a certain way can make something to beautiful :D

BQ2) A group of girls that have to go through a really tramatic experience. It's all about emotion and how they deal with things.

BQ3) Neither. Theres a gap there and I have no idea why. It's not broken though. Just something thats missing and I have no idea what =]

BQ4)Never been in love. Apart from fictional characters, anyway =]

Well,

1) I like to see my story and my thoughts come out on paper.

2) It's a good way to let off steam. It's something I can dive into and that no one knows about but me and the characters who's story it is.

3) I love reading and writing, and just the thought of having something to read that I *wrote* is amazing.

BQ2: (yes, I kept the 2 in :P) It's about Sammy, who's the daughter of the infamous pirate Black Jack. Black Jack gets hung, and Sammy decides she doesn't want to die in shame or like a pirate, so she attempts to become a lady. It doesn't go so well :}

BQ2: Almost whole, although it's been a few years since it was broken (in a way that most people's normally isn't). It will take a LONG time to be whole again- it really hurt and I don't let things go easily

BQ3: I don't know, maybe. I was a 7th grader, so most people think we didn't know what love is, but he was my absolute best friend, and there was something there. There's a reason it's taking so long to heal after all. BUT, no one wants to hear about that :}

• Hazel

1. I have never written anything of this genre before so it's a bit of an interesting experimentation. I like to try new things

2. This story has interesting characters. I learn something new and exciting about them each day I write.

3. Because I love it. I'm in love with the plot, the characters, and basically all the ideas and grand hopes I have for it.

BQ2: What is your novel about?

It was originally a supernatural horror, but I decided it really wasn't scary enough, so now I classify it as a supernatural creepy XD

BQ2: Is your heart...broken or whole?

Whole <3

I have never been in love before so I can only imagine.

Hey!!!!!

Lol, feels like I haven't spoken to you in ages!

"No harm in that right" -

Actually, there is harm in that SO TAKE THIS QUESTION DOWN RIGHT NOW!

Lol...

Anyway -

1 - It's *my* world when I write, my alternative world, if you like. I've connected with my world (that I still haven't come up with a name for yet - damn! Gotta do that... keep forgetting) so much and, like you said, it has a story that needs to be told. I can escape, when I get bored or pissed off or whatever with my life I can just go to my book, which I know will always be there. Which leads me onto my next point... (ooh, that was almost like I planned it, lol).

2 - Security. As long as there's pen and paper in my hand then I'm fine. I'll be fine as long as I'm allowed to write. My characters... like, I can't imagine them not being there. I know everything else in your life can fall apart, your book will always be there. The way it will disappear is if your imagination will disappear.

3 - I need *some* sort of outlet! You can just let your emotions overtake you (especially anger works very well for me) and let it flood onto the page and at the end of it come out with a decent piece of writing. I draw as well, but if I draw crap then I get angry because it doesn't look right, whereas with writing I don't really notice if I'm writing crap because I'm in the moment (if that made sense...)

Wow, that was longer than I thought it would be, lol.

Aww @ the comment about our novel at the end. That made my day :)

BQ - Oh! Now I get the fail, I did not notice that at first and was like, "Wait... fill me in on the joke" LOL. It's about three people who are trying to evade being killed. Obviously there's more to it than that, but it's too long (and I'm too lazy) to explain, lol.

BQ2 - It's cracking.

BQ3 - Nope, been in lust *plenty* of times, though.

xx :) xx