Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

is it possible to kill 3 elk with one Tungsten fmj round?

Update:

The Caliber of rifle is a 7mm stw

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Lets say for sake of argument that you have three Elk standing touching each other side by side and you have a perfect broadside shot - distance to first Elk is 100 yards - the answer would be NO.

There is no certitude that you will get the bullet to travel in a perfectly straight line through two Elk and then also kill the third one.

Thinking to self - and I really wonder how you thought to even ask such a question.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes it is possible at certain criterias, the 7mm STW is a necked down 8mm Rem mag case with a .284 bullet inserted. With a Tungsten fmj rd it is capable of penetrating an Elephants shoulder and going through and through. That is what the Tungsten steel cores are designed to do (penetrate) heavy bone and tissue. Its WAY overkill on Elk and the landscape. Its better for head shots on thick skulls that require lots of penetration and no deflection. If its the Woogleigh 190 version its meant for Lion and the smaller Buffs, Zebra,larger bear and Kuda that require deep penetration to get to the vitals in heavy tissue and bone. Lead is becoming almost obselete on larger more dangerous game as the solid copper bullets of the TXS designs and Tungsten steel cores are taking their place. I believe these other guys are right on it being illegal to hunt Elk, but for bear if legal it would be a good choice.

• 9 years ago

Yes it is possible, not probable, and DEFINITELY should not be attempted! DO NOT hunt an animal of that size with an FMJ round. To humanely kill an animal you use an expanding round in order to dump more energy and cause more tissue damage. No big game hunter will use FMJ rounds.

• Eric
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

possible, yes, legal, no.

depending on state you are looking at jail time, your rifle and vehicle confiscated, plus a fine up to $250,000.

Don't be out in the woods with FMJ ammunition.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Justin
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

One year when I was elk hunting someone killed 8 elk with his nissan murano and he walked away without a scratch. So I guess anything is possible.

Don't hunt with a non expanding bullet. Its illegal and unethical.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Its possible to kill 3 elk with a hand grenade....stupid but possible

• 9 years ago

I would assume it depended on the caliber of the rifle, which was somehow left out of the question.

• 9 years ago

Yes, possible but illegal.

It is illegal to hunt using FMJ bullets.

• 9 years ago

Possibly. But the situation will never happen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.