Why Does SSI and SSD pay LESS for MORE Dependents?

I'm receiving SSI and SSD. I was recently married, and my wife is 8.5 months pregnant. I just got off the phone with Social Security. They said my benefits will be decreasing to a total of $400 a month!($80 of SSD and $200 of SSI) They said that the more dependents you have, the less money you get. That... show more I'm receiving SSI and SSD. I was recently married, and my wife is 8.5 months pregnant.

I just got off the phone with Social Security. They said my benefits will be decreasing to a total of $400 a month!($80 of SSD and $200 of SSI) They said that the more dependents you have, the less money you get.

That seems off to me. Shouldn't the MORE dependents you have, the more, not less, benefits, you should receive? How can one support 3 people with $400 a month? That's not even enough for rent!

It pays to be honest....
Update: I think it's ridiculous that people suggest that an 8.5 month pregnant woman that doesn't speak English, new to America, should get a job to support us.

Seriously?
Update 2: HOW is my wife capable of working? 8.5 months pregnant. No ID, no Social Security card, no English.
Where are these jobs that will hire her?

And Vocational Rehab, etc. pays ZERO.

Come on people. At least try.
Update 3: Um...Bob. Why throw in an illegal alien rant onto this topic? What on earth does this question have to do with illegal aliens?