How was the myth created that Science and Religion don't play nice?

Philosophy/ art, music taught me ways to view universe, that were wise to those fields long before science was, and science does actually acknowledge these views.

I find it very fascinating. All these different people, view points often cross intersect, their all the same, really. No matter how different their views appear to be, I see that one is often just the abstraction of cousin of another.

I just watched The Devil's Advocate and it got me thinking a little about my own life. I've been studying religion/ philosophy, science, all sorts of things as of late and I respect and acknowledge the power behind these things more so in my life than ever before.

Of course being religious could mean anything, could mean you worship aliens, for all I know.

I was born and raised Catholic, and I still hold onto many of my beliefs, when I started to learn a little more about science and math my beliefs began to die down but when I got into some pretty interesting and further along philosophical concepts that tied into science like cake to icing I began to appreciate all things.

I now appreciate science, math, philosophy, art, in a way that I never had before. I appreciate all these things, equally. I wasn't sure earlier what I respected more, what held my interest , but I now admire and respect all these things.

I watch music videos, artist renderings, even if the intention is direct/ indirect all these beliefs, ideas can be correlated.

I see topics in both science and philosophy that correlate all the time, even if from a naive sense, the most abstract artistic "anti-ideas" are true ideas. Creativity that rules over certain ideas , that imagination should be no less valued in artistic genius than it is in scientific genius. Often the two have coincided. Many religious men throughout history have made famous scientists, as well as artists.

So very often I see reflections of beliefs spread throughout different medium, that actually turn out to be indifferent , it's just the ideas that spread throughout those different medium that distract us from the actual message we've picked up on.

So, yes, I am acknowledging all the contextual differences of religions , sciences, arts, but as foreign languages have symmetry so do all these things.

There's several beliefs, and beyond those things their true belief.

And it doesn't matter what came first, their all the same, just demonstrated differently based on how they've been licensed.

Oh Ye Faithful, that is the entire point that I was trying to validate. I don't know if you read my post, but I certainly don't disagree with you. The idea here is that it doesn't matter what came first, second, third.

Do any of you have a clue what the Roman Catholic Church and it's followers have done for science!?

Do some research before you tell me I can't be scientific if I'm religious...

"Galileo Galilei (Italian pronunciation: [ɡaliˈlɛːo ɡaliˈlɛi]; 15 February 1564[4] – 8 January 1642),[1][5] commonly known as Galileo, was an Italian physicist, mathematician, astronomer and philosopher who played a major role in the Scientific Revolution. "

"In February 1616, although he had been cleared of any offence, the Catholic Church nevertheless condemned heliocentrism as "false and contrary to Scripture",[10] and Galileo was warned to abandon his support for it—which he promised to do. When he later defended his views in his most famous work, Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, published in 1632, he was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.[11][12]"

Favorite Answer

Anti-Catholics take a couple of bad examples, ignore hubdreds of good examples, and make incorrect statements.

Neither the Scientific Community nor the Church had a problem with the heliocentric theory of Copernicus or Galileo that said that the sun was the fixed center of the universe. It was when Galileo said it was fact without enough repeatable scientific evidence (as the scientific method requires) that he got into trouble.

By the way, the heliocentric theory that claimed the sun was the fixed center of the universe instead of the Earth, was also incorrect. The sun is the center of the solar system but not the universe and the sun itself moves, it is not fixed.

In 1741, Pope Benedict XIV granted an imprimatur (an official approval) to the first edition of the Complete Works of Galileo.

“[Galileo] declared explicitly that the two truths, of faith and of science, can never contradict each other, 'Sacred Scripture and the natural world proceeding equally from the divine Word, the first as dictated by the Holy Spirit, the second as a very faithful executor of the commands of God', as he wrote in his letter to Father Benedetto Castelli on 21 December 1613. The Second Vatican Council says the same thing, even adopting similar language in its teaching: 'Methodical research, in all realms of knowledge, if it respects... moral norms, will never be genuinely opposed to faith: the reality of the world and of faith have their origin in the same God' (Gaudium et Spes, 36). Galileo sensed in his scientific research the presence of the Creator who, stirring in the depths of his spirit, stimulated him, anticipating and assisting his intuitions”: John Paul II, Address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences (10 November 1979): Insegnamenti, II, 2 (1979), 1111-1112. From the Vatican website: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/enc...

For more information, see: http://web.archive.org/web/20071209222631/

http://www.catholic.net/rcc/Periodicals/Issues/Gal...

With love in Christ

• Matt

Science and the Catholic Church are definitely intertwined in a positive way despite all the bigotry and nonsense that has been spread over the years.

You have to ask why so many craters on the moon are named for Jesuit astronomers and how the Catholic Church could be so against religion since they invented the hospital and the university.

There are some great books out there now by scientists who say their discoveries have proven to them that either an intelligent being of some sort or a divine being HAD to have created the earth and universe even if a Big Bang and some evolution was part of the process. Science has been shown to prove there can be no mathmatical or logical way so many, many things came together so perfectly despite incredible mathmatical odds.

God bless you on your journey!

I'm glad you're intelligent enof to find the relationship between them all...If you are a believer of a diety,( christian, jew or muslim)then with more reading and knowledge you will one day reach the truth that science & religion are the same...The Creator made everything that exists & science is about discovering those things so obviosly they're the same :)

You're a student of philosophy and you look like someone who likes to research things before blindly believing them...if you want to know the truth then read all philosophies...christianity, Islam & jaidism ..only then can you compare them and what will you get in return? a better perspective of life and a lot of knowledge..not a bad deal hmm ? :)

LOL... There are quite a few of you who don't know as much about science as you seem to think. Science can't tell you anything definitive about God 1 way or the other. So if you've said "logic brings me to where I stand".. well... you need to go back to logic class as that logic would have been the 1st to tell you that you weren't capable of making a determination in the 1st place.

Philosophy is a precursor to science and music is a science just as much as an art.

There is conflict only if religion makes testable claims about reality. Religion gets into big trouble when it pretends to know something that it really doesn't, or when it pretends to be science.

the scientific method and its philosophic base is a total opposition to every religious way of gaining "knowledge".

astronomy, physics,... teach about the universe. not music.

Religion and Science are simply incompatible, as religion is based purely on faith, and dubious texts. You cannot be a true scientist and a Christian, they are mutually exclusive

believe in God and read the bible. science philosophy art and music will not save you. only Jesus can

Because science will prove that god doesn't exist. And religion will cover it up, otherwise they'll lose money.