First Amendment tasks help……?

Task 7

A teacher in your school sent a student to the office for having used profanity in class. The student says that she was just expressing herself. You have been asked by the school board to sit on a committee to accomplish the following tasks:

1) How is the First Amendment relevant to this situation?

2) Are you aware of any previous situations where something similar has occurred? If so, what? How was it resolved?

3) What type of profanity policy should the board adopt concerning this situation?

Task 9

An 8th grader at your school created a poster for a contest that depicted a cross. The parents of another student want the poster to be disqualified and removed from viewing since it contained a religious symbol. You have been asked by the school board to sit on a committee to accomplish the following tasks:

3) What type of policy should the board adopt concerning this situation?

Task 14

A senior at your school, who is a mascot for the football team, had his senior picture taken in his knight costume with a saber since that is your mascot. The yearbook adviser said that she would not allow it to be placed in the yearbook since it depicted violence. You have been asked by the school board to sit on a committee to accomplish the following tasks:

(If you know of any situation for the 2nd thing u can post it cuz i can use things from the internet.)

It's due tomorrow so I would appreciate it if you could help me asap, thanks in advance!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Task 7:

1) The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law infringing on the freedom of speech. So, the student used profanity, and has the freedom of speech to say it due to the First Amendment.

2) Fighting words are words or phrases that are likely to induce the listener to get in a fight. This previously applied to words like "the n-word" but with people getting less sensitive to words, this exception is little-used. Restrictions on hate speech have been generally overturned by the courts; such speech cannot be targeted for its content but may be targeted in other ways, if it involves speech beyond the First Amendment's protection like incitement to immediate violence or defamation.

3) Maybe this will help.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/09/Tampabay/Pinella...

Task 9:

1) The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion. This means, that the student has the freedom do show his religion under the First Amendment.

2) In the 1994 case, Board of Education of Kiryas Joel Village School District v. Grumet, Supreme Court Justice David Souter wrote in the opinion for the Court that: "government should not prefer one religion to another, or religion to irreligion". Everson v. Board of Education established that "neither a state nor the Federal Government can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another". This applies the Establishment Clause to the states as well as the federal government.

3) The school board, should follow the First Amendment of freedom of religion, or someone at the school could sue the school board for not following the First Amendment.

Task 14:

Truthfully, i dont think task 14 is relevant to the first amendment. It could be freedom of press, but the freedom of press says that. This clause is generally understood as prohibiting the government from interfering with the printing and distribution of information or opinions, although freedom of the press, like freedom of speech, is subject to some restrictions, such as defamation law and copyright law. So, when the yearbook adviser wouldn't allow it, it isnt really relevant to the first amendment.

I hope this helps. BECOME MY FAN!!!

I'm using my knowledge to help others, becoming my fan helps me know I'm helping others.

PLEASE SUPPORT! TELL YOUR PRINCIPAL OR TEACHER! MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!

http://www.rachelschallenge.org/LearnMore/WhatIsRC...