Name a black musician who isn't a rapper/r&b artist that appeals to modern day black youth?

Can you name five contemporary (current) ,mainstream (ie. receives significant media attention) black musicians who appeal to black youth in America?

Basically what I'm asking is, can you name 5 musicians who:

-are current

-are mainstream

-are black

-appeal to black youth

-are not rappers/ rhythms and blues artists

Most people would have an EXTREMELY difficult time naming 5 (if any) musicians that meet all those standards.

Do you ever get suspicious as to why the media is so hellbent on only shining light on black musicians that are more than likely to negatively impact black youth in America?

Do you ever get suspicious as to why to why the ratio between black jazz, rock, and classical musicians (amongst many other different genres asides from rap) and black rappers and r&b musicians are ridiculously disproportionate and skewed?

I'm not implying anything exactly... but can anyone give me a logical reason or theory as to why the media is seemingly so reluctant to portray (to youth - particularly black youth) black musicians as being anything other than a rapper or a r&b artist... doesn't anyone ever get suspicious as to why there are literally very few to no black rock musicians, classical composers, piano players, jazz musicians etc.?

Surely there are black people who integrate themselves into said genres... so what gives? Why is it that the only type of black musicians I run across in mainstream music targeted for America's youth.. are rappers?

Best Answer

John Legend is a really talented guy. So is Ziggy Marley. And obviously Alicia Keys can do things outside of r&b. Their music just doesn't get put on the radio as much because they are better than mainstream trash, along with other great musicians of all races.

While what you say has some truth to it when it comes to glorifying negative-image rappers, I think you need to look at it from a different perspective. What you're asking is kind of like saying, "Why won't black people give doing something that's a part of their culture?"

Very rhythmic beats and soulful singing derives from the African culture, and I think it sounds great in what we label as "black genres". But I wouldn't associate the music with the lyrics--it's not fair to, since any genre, European-derived or whatever, can use vulgar lyrics and still be famous. So it's not so much the media shining on the lyrics or the individual necessarily, it's shining on the hip hop beats and the uniqueness of voice that everyone obviously enjoys listening to or else it wouldn't be on the radio. I wouldn't like to think of it as a race thing... They glorify Ke$ha's drunken self just as much as Lil Wayne being arrested.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, yeah, of course there are black people that are capable of doing other genres, but reggae/jazz/blues/r&b/etc. is what they created and it is what has derived from their heritage, so they surely do it the best! Why not continue sharing it with society?

Chuck Berry

Living Color

Lajon Witherspoon

periodically I come across things Im baffled by this is one of them. Rapping is a black genre, and r & B well. I think though you are asking what parents couple decades ago asked...on the issue of "rock and roll" "heavy metal" and "pop" music...so what are you trying to say?

listen to jamaican reggae it is good and inspires people