Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Why was Ishmael sent away by Abraham and Sarah (Sarai)?

Ishmael, the first son of Abraham, was banished alongside his surrogate mother named Hagar. He also had a brother, Isaac, who was birthed by Sarah. Why was he banished and what does this have to do with Ishmael's role in roots of Islam since his brother, Isaac, had a role in the roots of Christianity?

• Aravah
    Favorite Answer

answer: Because G-d had said Abraham would have a son with his wife Sarah but they doubted G-d and Sarah sent her slave to Abraham. After Hagar had Ishmael she flaunted it to her owner Sarah.

G-d gave Sarah permission to send Hagar and Ishmael away since Ishmael was NOT part of G-d's eternal covenant with Abraham and the legitimate son, Isaac.

The Muslim claim that Ishmael taught monotheism to Hagar's pagan people doesn't hold up when one realizes that the Arabs were pagans from the time of Abraham until Mohammad founded Islam. If Ishmael was their spiritual and physical ancestor, he didn't do a good job bringing the worship of G-d and G-d alone to his mother's people when Ishmael was exiled - long before Abraham and Isaac climbed a mountain in a test of Abraham's devotion to HaShem.

The 1st son was often passed over. Ishmael was the son of a slave, not a wife and not of the plan of G-d. Ishmael and his mother were outcasts before G-d tested Abraham. G-d used the word "only" to emphasize that Abraham and Sarah had gone against His wishes and that Ishmael was PUT OUT away from the sight of G-d.

Genesis 16: 11 And the angel of the LORD said unto her: 'Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son; and thou shalt call his name Ishmael, because the LORD hath heard thy affliction.

12 And he shall be a wild *** of a man: his hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the face of all his brethren.'

Genesis 17: 18 And Abraham said unto God: 'Oh that Ishmael might live before Thee!'

19 And God said: 'Nay, but Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son; and thou shalt call his name Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his seed after him.

20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee; behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.

21 But My covenant will I establish with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.'

Sarah wanted Abraham to send Hagar and Ishmael away because she thought Ishmael being the oldest was getting too much attention. God promised Abraham that he would build his son Ishmael a nation and give him a people..this is where Islam comes from.

Hagar And Ishmael Sent Away