Do you think a class action lawsuit against Harold Camping and family radio would be justified?

At least on behalf of all the people who have been worried about the end day predictions, people who have made actual preparations, et... Since it should be obvious to the rest of us money is the motivation here, wouldn't that be appropriate and send a clear message to all the other would-be doomsday sayers? A hefty fine in addition would be appropriate as well. Bankrupt the guy. Make the message clear.

Free speech is one thing.

Yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theatre is quite another.

Best Answer

My Daughter was born april of 98, My Mom said she will only live to see 13, Well she is 13 now and My Mom found out she has Breast Cancer last year, She choose not to do anything becausse 'There is not enough time". I am sadden for her that she listened to this Man. We tried to be with her this past weekend but, She told us if we can;t belive what she does she will cut us out of her life. Now Yes I am all for bring a Lawsuit aginst this man. I don't want money I want him SHUT DOWN. I watched the news the night before May 21 and one of his employees said she herself does not believe he knows. My dad died right before my Mom started listening to him. hse was looking for comfort and found him on the internet and went with this full on. I think of the poeple who spent their life savings on Spreading the word, Now what are they going to do. He lead many astray and Iwonder what God will say to him. It is sad but I hope he says I NEVER KNEW YOU.

Yes! It is not free speech when millions of dollars are taken from people for the cause. People were mislead into believing that a well-known man who claimed to be a Christian, had the answers and HE TOOK THEIR MONEY. Family Radio should be audited and ordered to refund every dime they received from the public because I'm sure they asked for donations some way or another for this scam.

If Mr. Camping was a true Christian he would come out and confess his sins in public before God and the people...the fact that he is still alive is a testimony of God's grace and mercy on him because he is headed on a primrose path to Hell (and not the kind where you're just unconscious, Mr. Camping!) Repent. Unfortunately, in his case it may be too late since he has blasphemed the Holy Spirit which is an unforgivable sin...hence his constant decay.

He also need to confess that he is wrong about his teaching on the church not being the bride of Christ anymore and that the Holy Spirit does not work in people anymore. What a lunatic! The Holy Spirit doesn't work in Mr. Camping anymore, that's why he can make false predition after false prediction and come out unashamed of his sin before the world.

Thank you Mr. Camping! For exposing yourself. LOL!!!

Now all the smart and true pastors who are on that radio station need to leave because I am going to boycott it eventhough they do have many other good programs; I'm not alone, I'm sure.

There is a possibility that Camping's organization could be liable for fraud if they knew that the information they were spreading was false. Given that there is new information out there that up to 80% of the organization didn't believe it, there could be grounds for several torts: fraud, intentional infliction of emotional distress, to name a few.

Obviously, Camping would claim 1st Amendment free speech as a defense, if fraud is proven and it is proven that people relied on the fraud, then 1st Amendment would fail. Freedom of religion would be another defense, and probably the stronger one. However, this too could be overcome.

I am an attorney in California. The comments above are just that. They are not legal advice.

It would be grounds for a FAC (first amendment complaint) civil lawsuit. However, the only people that make money on class action lawsuits are the lawyers! Also, You can forget the "hefty fine". There was no crime committed.

I have forgotten who said it - one of Jeff Foxworthy's fellow "redneck" comedians - but "you can't fix stupid".

A class action lawsuit would not be worth it. He can say what he believes. "Prophets" have been preaching the end of the world every decade since 63 AD. There are some passages in some translations of some Bibles that can be taken to say Jesus is coming back within his disciples' lifetimes. He didn't. "The End is Near" has been a staple of cartoons in the New Yorker and lesser magazines since roughly 4 seconds after the invention of the magazine cartoon.

There are many people who have trusted this guy. One of my good friends have been absolutely ruined by following his prediction. YES, a class action lawsuit to bring down family radio is in order.

In 1994, the man made the same prediction, so why would anyone listen to him now? Also, everytime something happens why do people always want to sue someone? Camping is probably doing what he is doing for money, so what makes you with your class action lawsuit any different?

• Isa

Nah.

Whether it's the Y2K, the Mayan Calendar, or Harold Camping, there's just a certain segment of the population that's desperate for the world to end, and is willingly fed conspiracy theories. If it wasn't for Harold Camping, they'd just stick onto someone else's end-of-the-world prediction, or make up their own.

What would really help is for people to stop believing what him and his idiotic family says, therefore they don't make anymore money. A class-action lawsuit would be just a waste of time.

• OK

A retard can't be sued for yelling "fire".

A lawsuit against this guy just won't work. He has an incredible history of mistakes that serves as a sound defense.