Music tearing my relationship apart?

why is it important that I listen to music he approves of...my boyfriend is really big into music and I listen to the same kind of music as him but I also listen to a bunch of other things..he only sticks to the post hardcore genre. I love that music, don't get me wrong but if I don't listen to what he approves of then he gets really pissed at me. Anytime I listen to something outside that genre he screams that this music is lame and I need to turn it off and he stops talking to me for hours. And another thing is that sometimes I don't listen to a whole bands album and I only know a couple of songs by them but when he plays a song I don't know he expects me to know it and gets angry if I don't. So why is it so important, why is music tearing my relationship apart? Do I need to just listen to everything one by one and take up my days just to know every single song he knows? -_-

Favorite Answer

music isn't tearing your relationship apart. your bf and his failure to compromise is. you are entitled in a relationship to like things he doesn't, just as he is entitled to like things you don't. music is an individual taste after all, not something that we have to for instance listen to only one genre of. he can, that works for him. you don't have to, because it doesn't work for you. talk with him, he truly has to compromise on this, stop controlling your musical tastes, and allow you to listen to what you want to. he doesn't have to listen after all. if he won't compromise, then yes, your relationship is in trouble. not because of music. because of him.

• Gary B

If this simple, UNIMPORTANT matter like music style is tearing you apart NOW, how are you going to handle more serious matters like money problems, loss of jobs, a death in the family, or, God Forbid, a baby?

HE is too immature to be any ones boyfriend. And I wonder about you, since you don't have the sense to see this and leave him LONG before it is necessary to ask questions on the internet. HIS action are selfish, controlling, adn immature. YOUR inability to say "Get Lost!" show a clingy, needy, immature attitude.

NEITHER of you are ready have a steady boyfriend or girlfriend. He's selfish, youa r weak. this mixture leads to NOTHING but neartache.

DROP HIM -- now.

He is extremely immature and spoilt, and you should only do what he wants if YOU want to, for as long as you feel comfortable with it.

Otherwise, be yourself, and if he doesn't like it, tough! That's the person you are, so you are justified in moving on, because you obviously don't match each others interests. And, I suggest that is what you do! You deserve to be treated with respect.

Good luck.