Can you tell me some theories of reading development?

I don't want the stages;I want theories concerning reading development

Favorite Answer

I learned to read using the phonetic method. My mother taught me. I was reading on my own by the age of four. I used the same method with my son. He could write the entire alphabet by the time he was two. We then started working on sounds. He was spelling by the age of three. I read aloud to him every day from the time he was an infant When he was six, his teacher pulled me aside after the children had taken their first national tests. The look on her face really scared me. She was speechless and I thought something was horribly wrong. Finally, she whispered in my ear, "Your son reads at the 8th grade level!" Oh, is that all. So, he's six years old and reads at the level expected of a 14-year-old. That doesn't surprise me.

Its not just writing the letters, but that is a start. They begin to understand what sounds the letters make. Talking with a child and reading aloud from books is very important. If one understands the foundation, then they build from that. If a person can read and comprehend, they can do anything, learn anything.

I don't believe in the "Your Baby Can Read" programs. It is merely word recognition and gives them no basis or ability to sound out words or even understand words.

I have tutored children who have been taught this method in the schools, taken them back to do you know the alphabet, do you know the sounds each letter represents and found them completely ignorant in that regard, which I find so sad. I've talked to the teachers of these children and asked if they have learning disabilities, maybe dyslexia and been told they've been tested, they're just lazy. No, how about the teacher is lazy.

I cannot think of one child on the face of this earth who does not want to read. Every single one of those children I tutored wanted more than anything to be able to read, not taken off into a corner.

My brother has a Ph.D. in neurobiology. He tells me that it is still not understood how people learn. All I can say is it worked for me, it worked for my son, and it evidently worked for my brother.

Phonetics.