Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

What is really wrong with assisted suicide?

Put whatever precautions in place, but I should be allowed to decide when I go right?

Best Answer

That I cannot answer because I cannot list every possible situation. But, it seems obvious that suicide is clearly wrong, though forgivable. However, there are general categories of suicide on which we could briefly comment:

Medically Assisted Suicide - I've never seen this as being acceptable. The doctor is supposed to save life, not destroy it. But, lately as destroying the lives of the unborn is more common place, destroying the lives of the sick has become the next logical step.

Suicide to prevent prolonged torture - Let's say that someone was being tortured in an excruciating manner for an unbearably long period of time, is suicide an option? Perhaps. But if it were in this situation, why wouldn't it be all right in the medically-assisted context if the patient were also in excruciating pain for long periods of time? Quite honestly, I'm not sure how to answer that one.

Suicide due to depression - Of course, this is never a good reason for suicide. Seasons pass and so does depression. The one who is depressed needs to look to Jesus and get help. Depression is real and powerful and is best fought with help. Also, severe depression robs the mind of clear thinking. People in such states are despondent, not in their right mind.

Suicide due to a chemical imbalance in the brain - The human brain is incredibly complex and the medical community is full of accounts of extraordinary behaviors by people whose "circuits got crossed." I don't see how a situation like this would make it justifiable. I think it simply would make it more explainable.

Accidental suicide - Sometimes people accidentally kill themselves. This could mean leaning over a balcony too far and falling to one's death, or actually, purposefully taking a stupid risk like playing with a gun. Of course, with either, stupidity does not remove us from the grace of God.

Conclusion

Is the Christian forgiven for suicide? Yes. But suicide is not an option. We do not have the right to take our own lives. That belongs to God.

Used in the right situations for the right reasons i have no issue with it. The problem people have with it is that the right situation and right reasons aren't always solid reasons - which is something i can understand because it is something very difficult to judge because it is a life at the end of the day

Yes you can decide when you want to go, so why would you need assistance. I could think of numerous ways to commit such without any assistance.

A person can choose not to have dialysis and dies in a week. If a person pulls the plug on the dialysis machine it is called murder. (in the country where I live.)

To a point, yes. If you are at the final stages of some horrible disease then certainly you should be able to end your own life in dignity. But if you're completely healthy I would say no because by killing yourself you would hurt people who care about you.

I agree completely. It seems crazy to me that we will end the suffering of a cat, dog or hamster, but make a human being endure a prolonged, painful and undignified death.

@StuartH - Aren't we "doing God's job" by prolonging someone's death? And that's what happens; it's not life that's being prolonged, but dying.

@Lightning from the East.

"The one who is depressed needs to look to Jesus and get help. Depression is real and powerful and is best fought with help."

Yes, depression needs treatment - from qualified medical personnel. It may require medication. To suggest that it can be cured simply by "looking to Jesus" is naive at best. It's also bloody condescending!

You should be able to make your own decisions about your body and your life.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

some just think it is dead wrong

God did not give us permission to do His job.