Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

which is politically correct, asian or oriental?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

East Asians = Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Taiwanese

Southeast Asians = Burmese, Brunei, Cambodian, East Timor, Indonesian, Laotian, Malaysian, Filipino, Singaporean, Thai, Vietnamese

Southwest Asians = The Middle Easterners

South Asians = Bangladeshi, Bhutan, Indian, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistani, Sri Lanka, Tibetan

North Asians = Russians

Central Asia = Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan.

Some East and Southeast Asians generally find the word, oriental, to be offensive.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

oriental just means of east of Europe in general. But it's a silly term because if you keep going east of Europe you get back to Europe again. Asian is much more specific (and not associated with "orientalism").

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oriental because Asians don't always look Oriental. I'm Indian and am Asian doesn't necessarily mean I'm Oriental

• 1 decade ago

Asian is a more socially acceptable term. Oriental is too "racist".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Is it bad to fry KFC in kool aid inside of a watermelon over a stolen stove in the welfare office watching BET

• 1 decade ago

i hate politically correct people

if there born here how about americans ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.