At 77 I'm drawing Social Security/disability on my 80 y/o ex's record. If he dies before me, will I lose out?

I became disabled in '92 at the age of 58 and began drawing my benefits. At at 62-65 I began drawing off my ex's benefit record which was higher than mine. If he dies before me, does my benefit decrease back to w hat it was before I started drawing on his record. In other words, do I take a hit moneywise?

Also, we divorced and he remarried and again divorced. Does his second divorced wife upset my benefits in any way in the event of his death before me?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

Actually if he dies before you do your benefit will rise. It will become whatever amount he was receiving. Each spouse's benefit is figured as if no other spouse exists.

And PS - once a person hits full retirement age (for you it was age 65) they no longer receive a disability benefit - it is automatically converted to a retirement benefit with no change in payment rates. Disability benefits are only paid to people under age 65 - or whatever full retirement age happens to be depending upon when the person was born.

Flower answers a lot of Social Security questions and I've noticed that she is often wrong. Apparently she doesn't know that an ex-wife can receive spouses/widows benefits if the marriage lasted ten years.

Gossom is wrong about the benefit amount as well. A widow can receive UP TO 100% of her husband's benefit amount. There are three different methods of computing a widow's benefit. 75% is payable to a young widow with minor children in her care. The method of computing an ex-wife's benefit is the same method used to compute a wife's benefit.

Source(s): Was a claims representative with Social Security for 32 years before I retired.

No. In fact, I believe you are getting 50% now. If he dies (God forbid) I believe it will increase to 75%. What SSA means by your benefits changed to retirement benefits are age 65, is it came from a different funding sources. Once you passed 65, everything stays the same, except it could increase after his death. SSA would have notified you if his marriage/divorce had changed your benefits.

• Kini

You are getting your social security benefits. When you turned 65, your disability changed to regular retirement benefits. Since you are divorced and your husband remarried you are not entitled to his social security. His second wife gets the benefits if they were married more t han 10 years. See the SSA website for precise details.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_i...

• JYISGG

Wow. How heartless are you? You are more worried about who gets what money over the death of your once lover? Just for that, I hope you get nothing. I like how you refer to them as “my benefits,” that the very person whom you are obviously waiting on to die worked for.

His dying will not affect you.