Is eating meat "unnatural"?

I don't have a problem with people who are vegan/vegetarian for ethical reasons (a trip to the slaughterhouse can be quite scarring). But how is eating meat unnatural when humans have been omnivorous for thousands of years? I honestly think things like grains, rice, refined sugars, etc. are a lot less "natural" most of those things didn't come about until the agrarian revolution.

*As a side note I think we do eat way too large of portions of meat and it should be eaten in very small quantities in comparison to vegetables but cutting it out completely is not necessary.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Humans eating meat is very natural. That's why humans have been doing so for millions of years. This is a fact and not up for debate.

Humans can eat and digest meat just fine.

Humans can eat raw mat.

Humans can catch animals with their bare hands.

• Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I like veggie burgers, veggie dogs, veggie ground beef in chili and tacos and such. It's a great vehicle for all the condiments and spices that made the genuine-meat versions so good. I've never tried vegetarian lunch meats before. Maybe I should, as I used to like ham a good deal.

• 9 years ago

Eating meat is perfectly natural; we are omnivores, in spite of what some vegans may want you to believe! Even if some our ancient pre-human ancestors were "herbivores", modern human beings evolved as omnivores, so we are meant to eat both meat, plants, fish,fruit,nuts...just about anything!

Why do so many vegans&vegetarians insist that humans were designed to be herbivores, if they want to follow that diet go ahead, but the vast majority of people don't!

Edit: Humans can digest meat& fish, especially raw or very rare meat just fine!

Source(s): Love sashimi.
  • lexi m
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Can you imagine catching and killing an animal naturally without using tools or a trap of some kind?

Running alongside a deer or running to catch a rabbit-- jumping on it-- piercing its fur and hide with your strong fingernails and then tearing its throat with your razer sharp teeth.... that's natural.

Can you do that?

Fisherman don't run into the water and snatch a fish with their hands and eat it raw with their pointy teeth. Slapping it with their big claws like a bear and tearing it with their meat eating teeth.

Humans use tools to catch animals which isn't natural.

But we've been using tools for a while now.... we do have incisors which is at least 2 sharp teeth out of all our teeth.... so I'm not convinced we aren't omnivores.....

But we are drastically different from carnivores who are truly designed to eat meat.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Charms
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

As a vegan, I say humans are "survivalist herbivores", meaning that if we all were starving (like REALLY starving, not what people claim when they whine "I'm staaaaarving"), they could possibly eat meat, but really have an herbivores bodily system. But people this day & age don't eat meat because they have to, they eat meat because they WANT to

Humans CANNOT eat raw meat (chicken, hellooooo).

• 9 years ago

most of the time when humans cut off meat for a while but go back to eating it they get sick and puke their insides out. don't argue because i know a few people personally who ate meat on accident and puked their brains out right after.(some before they even knew they consumed the meat)

• 9 years ago

I have a question for you.

Why do you feel the need to upload comments about how other people's diet is wrong???????????

Anyway, Humans have been unnaturally "omnivorous" for years. Natural diet for Humans is Herbivorous!

• 9 years ago

When you look at the comparison between herbivores and humans, we compare closer to herbivores than meat eating animals.

Take a look at this: (Done by: A.D. Andrews, Fit Food for Men, (Chicago: American Hygiene Society)

Meat-eaters: have claws

Herbivores: no claws

Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue

Herbivores: perspire through skin pores

Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding

Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly

Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat

Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to predigest grains and fruits.

Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to predigest grains and fruits

Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to predigest, grains and fruits

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to predigest grains

Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to predigest grains

Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to predigest grains

A popular statement is; "In the wild, animals kill other animals for food. It's nature." First of all, we are not in the wild. Secondly, we can easily live without eating meat and killing, not to mention we'd be healthier. Meat and seafood putrefies within 4 hours after consumption and the remnants cling to the walls of the stomach and intestines for 3-4 days or longer than if a person is constipated. Furthermore, the reaction of saliva in humans is more alkaline, whereas in the case of flesh-eating or preying animals, it is clearly acidic. The alkaline saliva does not act properly on meat.

Also, all omnivorous and carnivorous animals eat their meat raw. When a lion kills a herbivore for food, it tears right into the stomach area to eat the organs that are filled with blood (nutrients). While eating the stomach, liver, intestine, etc., the lion laps the blood in the process of eating the dead animals flesh. However, eating raw or bloody meat disgust us as humans. Therefore, we must cook it and season it to buffer the taste of flesh.

Also, you have to understand that when our ancestors consumed meat, it was for survival reasons. At this day and age, we no longer need it because all of our foods are easily accessible to us.

Hope I helped.

Source(s): Vegan.
  • 9 years ago

No, its not unatural, in fact its very natural.Humans are omnivres and our stomachs are monogasrtics and can break it dow easily. Hopes this helps!

• 9 years ago

Agreed about the eating of meat. Why would other animals eat the meat of another species if it wasn't natural. The universe has a way of balancing things out, and eating other living things is just one of those ways.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.