AA asked in SportsMartial Arts · 9 years ago

BJJ Tournaments. How to start?

Hi im 18yrs old iv been training in bjj for 2 months at Gracie Barra near where I live. I live in southern California and want to compete in tournaments but im not sure where to start or if im ready. Any suggestions or advice? thanks

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

2 months Idon'tt think you are ready personallyy. And your instructor should be able to tell you.

• 9 years ago

I like your eagerness to compete and get your hands dirty. Don't listen to these fools that tell you you're not ready because they don't even know. Your school should provide local tournament info, but if they don't, a simple internet search will help. Sometimes you have to check the websites of other local and nearby schools as some like to put their own tournaments or other schools' tournaments out there to attract more participants. Most will charge a small fee, you fill out a form, and go register and weigh in the morning of the tourney. You'll compete with only white belts with gi, and if you do no gi, most tournaments break it down by experience (0-6 months, 6 months-2 years, 2-5 years...that kind of thing) so you won't be facing Mundial world champs or anything. As far as knowing if you're ready, only competing will determine that because an actual competition is a whole other animal compared to even the hardest sparring sessions. It helps determine what you need to work on...take a teammate to record your matches, if possible. Remember, you're competing against guys with just about the same experience as yourself, but do watch out for sandbaggers. There are a few cowards out there with much experience that stay in the novice brackets for some stupid reason. Good luck!

• Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

agreed! conditioning is huge, especially since at the white belt level, you'll be competing in 5-6 matches assuming you win your weight division. however, competing is quite different from rolling. imagine rolling hard, and then doing that again and again. often times, if you're too jittery, you'll end up wasting a lot of your energy before you get to the ground, so just try and relax (although as a wrestler you probably already have some personal technique for keeping calm). your 1 year of judo will definitely help your stand up game, especially against other white belts, and your wrestling gives you a decent enough advantage on the ground and will only help you. in terms of conditioning, here are a couple things you can do try rolling 7-8 5 minute rounds with a minute break in between for water. also, because white belt matches are almost always 5 mins, try rolling for 7-8 minutes -- you'll find your endurance increasing. another thing you can do is going against multiple opponents, but each time you tap somebody out, have someone fresh come in until you use up the full time in the round. start from standing each time. other than that, i'm sure whatever you used to do for wrestling conditioning should do.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you think you are going to do well for two months of bjj experience you are completely wrong. Some people who enter tournaments have had years of experience and some of them don't even do well.

Just stick to learning it because there are lots of parts of bjj you have not even learnt yet.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Two months is not enough for you to gain good skills and knowledge.

Competition is just around, you can involve yourself anytime if you want to, but don't by-pass your Instructor, he will surely know if you are ready or not because he is dealing with you every time you’re active on practice and training.

For sure, your Instructor knows some scheduled tournaments; he itself will tell you if he thinks you are already ready and can fulfill on the battle inside the mat.

…………………………………

Source(s): Senses Good luck
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

2 months of training isn't enough to compete. You need 6 months minimum to start competing. I don't care how good you think you are, you aren't.

• 9 years ago

1) Listen to announcements in your BJJ class.

2) Ask your instructor about participating.

That's how, good luck!

Source(s): my brain ;)
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

The best idea is to google it yourself mate!

idk ask people? commonsense mate!

• 9 years ago

your club has NO info?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.