Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

AR-15 Lower Receiver Question?

I am looking at building a AR-15 since i have a spare barrel and stock etc from my first one and i wanted to put the parts to use. and i need a lower receiver (i know a store has to order it and background check has to be done for it) but i was looking for a cheap receiver and was hoping that you guys could give me a link to one. to be clear i can still have them order it at 18 there is not restriction for receivers on me being 18?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You have to be 21 to purchase a lower receiver from a dealer under federal law. The relevant statute is:

18 U.S.C. 925 (b) (1) which states:

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed

importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed

dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any

individual who the licensee knows or

has reasonable cause to believe is less

than eighteen years of age, and, if the

firearm or ammunition is other than a

shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a

shotgun or rifle, to any individual who

the licensee knows or has reasonable

cause to believe is less than twenty-one

years of age

A rifle is defined under 18 U.S.C. 921 (a) (7) as follows:

(7) The term "rifle" means a weapon

designed or redesigned, made or remade,

and intended to be fired from the

shoulder and designed or redesigned

and made or remade to use the energy

of an explosive to fire only a single projectile

through a rifled bore for each

single pull of the trigger.

A lower receiver by itself is not designed, made or intended to be fired from the shoulder and is therefore not a rifle under federal law. It is however still a firearm under federal law. Since it is a firearm, but is not a rifle or shotgun, then you must be 21 to purchase it from a licensed dealer. There is no "grey area", the law is clearly written and has been in effect since 1968. These laws only apply to purchasing from a licensed dealer. It is legal for you to purchase one in a private sale.

Source(s): Worked as an ATF liason for a licensed manufacturer. Still keep in touch with a few ATF inspectors
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

The AR lower receiver is considered part of a rifle (unless you intend to build a handgun out of it). So, at 18 you can order the part through an FFL dealer.

The below link is to an auctionarms.com page showing a listing of AR-15 lowers

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx

You can get yourself a complete lower or a stripped lower and a bag of parts and put one together for yourself.

If you decide to build one, keep in mind you will need some tools to do so. Like punches, action blocks, etc.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The lower receiver is the rifle. This is where the serial number is and you will have to go through all of the procedures that you would have to get a completed rifle in order to acquire the AR-15 lower receiver. All of the same rules will apply. Hope this helps

• 9 years ago

First off, it depends on your state.... While we all know that AR's are RIFLES and legally purchased at 18, but some states consider a stripped lower an assault rifle and regulate them to 21 and above.

That being said, just look around for an inexpensive lower and Google what you find. DPMS is one I learned with, cost about $125 new. Search Gunbroker.com, budsgunshop.com and others. You will find what you need.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.