Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 9 years ago

Tipping to an online English tutor?

I take an online English lesson via Skype. I like my English tutor because she does a good job and I’m wondering if I should give her a tip. Does she expect me to give her tip? If I should do so, how much should I give her? Someone please let me know how it works in the US about tipping since we have no custom of tipping in my country. Thank you.

Best Answer

While tipping is generally acceptable in our society, it's not expected in any capacity other than day-jobs like a taxi-driver, waiter, etc. It sounds like this is simply done out of the kindness of your tutor's heart. I would straight-up ask her if you could give her a tip (if you really want to- most good-hearted people don't expect one), and if she says yes, then give her something relevant to how long you've been tutored by her. If it's been a month or two, maybe twenty or thirty dollars- that's not necessarily a set amount, but if you're being tutored once or twice (or multiple times) a week, that's probably a safe number. If it's been longer or more often than that, you might consider slightly more, dependent upon the frequency.

Source(s): I'm an American!

should be easy I understand the students in China study english as much as they can how well do you speak Chinese? what is your education level? any training as a teacher?