Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 9 years ago

My story about Aspartame poisoning?

Hi, I'm 15 years old and this is my story. For almost 4-5 years of my life, I was drinking 3 54oz. Diet Coke drinks from Circle K. I was very addicted to the stuff and constantly craved it. I was pretty symptomless besides headaches which I never made the connection to Aspartame until a long time after my poisoning. One day, I bought a sugar-free lemonade mix that only about 2 tablespoons would make a whole container of lemonade. I was on antibiotics for an ear infection that I had at the time. I drank a glass that night.

The very next morning, about an hour after waking up, I noticed I had problems with my contact lenses on the way to school, everything looked and seemed very different. When I was in class, I noticed that I felt like I was floating around my room, almost out of my body or on a roller coaster. This caused me to have a panic attack and I immediately went to the nurse. I was scared to death, I had no idea what was going on. The nurse sent me home and besides the dizziness my anxiety subsided. That entire week I was having a panic attack nearly every day, I had constant dizziness, when I tried to go to sleep I would feel like I was having electric shocks in my head and felt sometimes as if I was flying or drowning.

All of these symptoms suddenly appearing brought on anxiety and depression, I was having heart palpitations. What bothered me for the longest time was that I felt as if my cheeks were being pressed and I felt like I had a metal ball growing in my ears. It was very painful and I kept thinking that it had something to do with my sinus problems or an ear infection. One day in class, I lifted my hand and it was shaking more than my grandfather's, that day I also felt as if I were in a fog, everything seemed very weird. At one point I felt like I actually had to think to walk and that I could not stop myself.

I had a CT scan, many doctors appointments, 2-3 ENT appts., they found nothing. My father made a call with an Otoneurologist, a neurologist specializing in dizziness and balance. The appointment was 2 hours long, he went over nearly every aspect of my life. One of these was my diet, I told him how I drank a large amount of Diet Soda. He found this very interesting and told me that it could be Aspartame causing my symptoms. I immediately quit drinking Diet Soda and read the labels on things for Acesulfame K/Aspartame and sucralose. My symptoms were subsiding very slowly, I didn't feel a huge difference until about 5 months later. I realized during that period of time that MSG also was causing similar symptoms, so I began to eat organic and take vitamins, krill oil, CoQ10, etc. My dizziness was not as great and I no longer felt as if I was in a roller coaster all the time, however, my night vision did seem to get worse, also, I get weird squiggly lines, there's a huge hue change in my vision. Things just don't seem the same. It has been about 430 days since this, and I still continue to deal with my eye problems, everything else has subsided but sometimes I will notice my dizziness if I focus on it.

I hope some people can relate and share their story, also, if anyone knows anything I can do about my vision.. Please, help me. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Thank you for your story. I have been telling folks about this for yrs. I had never liked diet drinks before starting having migraines. Upon researching, I found out that aspartame can be a trigger as well as MSG so I have always avoided both. In drinking lots of soda, you also got lots of caffeine..another bad thing so overused nowadays. The carbonation does not help our tummies either.

Just wondering...with the vision thing ... Have you had your thyroid tested? You need testing for ANTIBODIES as well as TSH. TSH ‘norm’ should be .3 – 3 (w/ most feeling best at < 2) but would not matter if antibodies are present. Indicative of Hashimoto’s Autoimmune Thyroiditis…main cause of HypOthyroid & is worse (...OR Graves Disease - HypERthyroid).

WARNING: Doctors seem not to want to find thyroid disease. You may have to go to more than one doctor before you get the right tests, interpretation, and treatment. Best wishes.

Ck these:

http://thyroid.about.com/bio/Mary-Shomon-350.htm

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

http://www.thyrophoenix.com/index.html

God bless

Source(s): Hashimoto's Autoimmune Thyroiditis
  • Pamela

I believe the stories are true. People want to claim that because we do not have scientific studies to back us up we must be quacking up the wrong tree BUT how many people died before they had scientific study to prove cigarettes cause cancer. How many people died from Vioxx, chantrix, celebrex, prozac and many other drugs that are still on the market because Merck and others claim they are safe. People say that msg is safe but I have a bad allergic reaction to it. Same with aspartame I believe it effects different people differently from temporary blindness to MS and parkinsons. I believe the more natural what you ingest is the healthier you will be. BUT there ARE some things in nature we are not meant to ingest either.

• Jordy

thanks for sharing!! :)

my mom, brother and i are asparatame,sucralose, and msg free. and trying to cut down the high fructose corn syrup too. my dad never quit his diet coke habit until he realized he had kidney cancer. they were able to remove the tumor without further radiation or chemo but i think that gave him a wakeup call. since then (it was a year ago) he had weight loss surgery and is down almost 100 pounds (he was almost 300 now hes almost to 200.) :) and he has stopped drinking diet coke (he actually has too because he had a vertical sleeve weight loss surgery so he cant drink carbonated things anymore) but he still eats a bunch of diet things with artificial sweeteners and stuff. we are trying to convert him too but hes a stubborn one. i was diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago, and when i had to start shopping for gluten free stuff, i discovered a whole world of organic foods, and realized how good they were for you and now like 4 years later we still eat healthy and im feeling so much better. my mom and brother are too.

well thats my story. :)

about your vision, im not actually sure. i have these kind of things too lately but ive yet to figure it out. ive been to the eye doctor but they just gave me glasses and told me to wear them when i need it, but thats not what i needed. :(

well good luck on your journey to healthier living :D

God bless XD

Set your pc alarm to ring hourly—stand upward for 1 to 5 minutes whenever it goes off.

Check out menus online before heading out so you have a few healthy options in head.

Brightly coloured turmeric not solely makes your curries taste fab, however it contains curcumin, an active ingredient that breaks down high-protein dishes, burns fat and also holds back the growth associated with new fat tissue.

• kitt

Volunteer to supply meals or help build property.

lower carb plus calorie counting is the ideal solution

Set your personal machine alarm to ring hourly—stand way up for 1 to 5 minutes everytime it goes off.

Sit on a yoga ball as opposed to a chair to work ones core.