Is The Scarlet Pimpernel a revolutionary or an aristocrat?

I have to watch the movie for my History class. Originally, I assumed he was a revolutionary because they are generally considered the "good guys" in the French Revolution. However, a lot of websites seem to say that he saves the aristocrats from being executed by the revolutionaries. This would mean that he is one of the "bad guys" (a strange choice for a main character). Yet, if he is in fact an aristocrat and is against the revolution, why does he have to pretend to be such a stuck-up asshole when he's hanging out at the parties with the other members of the upper class (as well as his wife). The websites also say that this is an act. Or is he really just a douchebag?

TL;DR: Is the Scarlet Pimpernel one the side of the revolutionaries, or is he saving people from them?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

He's not bad because he was saving aristocrats. It's not that simple. French society was unjust and needed to change, but murdering people for who they were at birth was not "good". The character is a humane person who helped people in danger, and he is also a satire of silly people who had privileges that they didn't deserve. His act was important because it made people underestimate him, and kept himself and his family safe.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I'm a bit bemused that you think the revolutionaries are "generally considered the "good guys" in the French Revolution." Quite the opposite, surely? Things like the guillotine aren't presented as a good idea where you live, are they?

He's an aristocrat. I don't think whether or not he's against the revolution is ever covered, but he's certainly against the way it treats the French aristocrats.

The stupid asshole persona is just an act. He needs everyone to believe that he's far too thick to be the Scarlet Pimpernel, so they never investigate whether he actually could be.

His wife isn't an aristocrat, btw - if I remember rightly, she's an ex-actress.

• 10 years ago

Percy Blakney, the Scarlet Pimpernel, is neither revolutionary or aristocratic. He rescues the aristocrats because no one else will and he's bored with his wealth. Yes, he pretends to be an idiot at parties because his goal is to hide his identity. So technically, according to the French commoners, he is the "bad guy." But according to the aristocrats he is their savior, a rescuer. You choose which you'd rather have him be. :) Hope this helps. . .

Source(s): Read the book, seen the movie
  • horth
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Watership Down - Richard Adams Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Graham Animal Farm - George Orwell Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain Black attractiveness - Anna Sewell Heidi - Sarah Stephen Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck 20,000 Leagues decrease than the sea - Jules Verne super expectancies - Charles Dickens The Iliad - Homer Ivanhoe - Sir Walter Scott Little women human beings - Louisa might Alcott The Odyssey - Homer Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe experience and Sensability - Jane Austen the three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas The Time gadget - H.G. Wells Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe Gulliver's Travels - Jonathon rapid Of Mice and men - John Steinback Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte additionally, something by potential of William Shakespeare. by potential of ways, i like to Kill a Mockingbird. i'm inspired which you're into a good number of those classics. i'm too. wish this facilitates, and robust success with your summer season examining! : )

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.