What are some current issues in Latin America/South America?

I am 16 years old and currently in my third year of learning Spanish. I have decided that when I grow up and am old enough to travel out of the country alone, I would like to use my knowledge of the language to benefit others. I'm sure there are many issues in this region that I am unaware of and would like... show more I am 16 years old and currently in my third year of learning Spanish. I have decided that when I grow up and am old enough to travel out of the country alone, I would like to use my knowledge of the language to benefit others. I'm sure there are many issues in this region that I am unaware of and would like to be made aware of them so that I can do something to help. If anyone could inform me of what I can do to help (now and in the future) I would appreciate that very much.

Thank you!