J Ral asked in TravelUnited StatesBoston · 9 years ago

What can I expect in a move to Boston?

I'm currently a college student in TX, but after I recieve my masters degree I plan to move to the Boston area to try to find work in a museum. Here's the catch: I've never lived outside of TX, and have no idea what to expect. Right now I only pay $555 for 660 sq. ft., and my total bills with utilities included only comes to about $900. I've been looking around online to get an idea of what I'm going to have to pay up north, and the average price for a 2 bedroom apartment (my boyfriend and his sister are coming with me) is around $1200-$1500. Is this accurate? Would I be able to find cheaper rates further away from the city? And what is a reasonable guestimate for daily commute into the city if i live further out? Right now I only travel about 15 minutes WITH traffic. I know that's going to change. Thanks for your help!

Favorite Answer

Great question. Boston is a very diverse citiy so lets do some pros and cons.

Expect for two bedroom, depending on the citiy:

Actual Boston: $2500 monthly without utilities some included

Brookline: $2000-2500 or more

Waltham: $1300-2500 or more

Watertown: $1400-2500 or more

Newton: $1700-2500 or more

Then you have

Malden: $1200-2000 more or less

Somerville $1000-$2000 more or less

Dedham $1200-$2000 more or less

Mind that you can find cheaper areas too, just research because every town has its good side and its not so good side and some towns just have good expensive side (Lincoln, Newton) and it all depends on how cold and how hot it is, it varies a lot and your bills can go high quickly

Daily commute, in rushour, for example from Newton to Boston (40 min - even 1 hour in or out on rt 9), 95 before 9:30am and after 5:30pm try to avoid completely, but then you have the T ( boston transit is wonderful but closes at 12:30am) less if you are inside Boston but traffic is very much.

Pros:

- Wages and salaries are higher

- Great education, variety,

- European atmosphere

- Atmosphere, New England view (foliage, crap like that)

- Competitive job-wise, posiblity to move up, many places to work

- Great healthcare, hospitals,

- Great marina, downtown, lots of things to do and places to see (mind the early closings)

- Some friendly people see Cons

- Neighborhoods and areas with majorities as an example to see (it is interesting) Northend italian style Chinatown asian style, Watertown armenian majority Summerville spanish portuguese majority so it is very interesting and nice to see cultural diversity.

Cons:

- Rules, laws and rules and laws, clubs and bars close at 2am some even 1-1:30 am

- loca stores close around 8:30, malls later

- Highway tolls, low speed limits, 55MPH on 95, 25-35MPH towns and usually 35MPH city

- Expensive to live in the close perimeter of the city and in "middle-class" cities

- Expect high utilities bills

- High taxes, weekly, monthly on car, on things you buy, on everything i think about 7% on sales,

- Unpredictable weather, harsh winters, humid shorter summers but hot, rainy seasons (curently cloudy daily with showers and only low F60s)

- Parking rules are horrible, expect a few tickets now and then, and expect to barely find parking in actual downtown Boston.

- VERY VERY bad roads (i suggest to buy SUV or small car with soft suspensions PLS trust me), a lot of traffic, horrible drivers and taxi drivers, weekly madness around rushhour and weekly-weeknd rush when sports are playing, some rude people

- Cold water in Boston beaches, you will get used to it after a while but its very cold water even in summer

Bottom line is dont let the CONS scare you but prepare and keep in mind that what i say a lot of people will support. A lot of people that live in the West and South would like to try it out. Theres many things to do and see and places to live in that are not so expensive. Life here is opposite from monotone, every day being different. 4 seasons be prepared to shovel in the winter and sweat in the summer (the short summer). Also everything is closer. Cape, NY, NH, RI..give it a try.

Source(s): I lived in Boston, Newton, Waltham for 9 years combined and im graduating college in a week and considering moving out after 1 or 2 years. It is getting to be too much and expensive.

Rents are cheaper further away from Boston, but if you work in Boston or some areas of Cambridge, you will probably have to pay for parking. Most Boston employers do not provide parking to their employees. It can be expensive (plus just owning and insuring the car is a major expense)

I know it's hard to imagine coming from TX, but if you live in Boston or certain areas of Cambridge, Somerville, Newton or Brookline, you can do just fine without a car. That frees up more money to pay for rent.

Presumably your BF and his sister will also be working and contributing to the rent? You cannot expect to make enough in an entry level museum job to pay for a 2 br on your own, even if it is far from the city.

Also keep in mind that Mass has a state income tax.

Just want to correct some errors I saw.

"- Rules, laws and rules and laws, clubs and bars close at 2am some even 1-1:30 am"

May be even earlier in suburbs, like midnight. Each municipality sets the rules.

"- loca stores close around 8:30, malls later"

Most stores are open until 9 or 10 pm.

Tolls only on I-90, the Tobin Bridge and the Sumner & Callahan tunnels. Speed limits increase to 65 Mph outside of I-95/MA128 on divided, limited access highways. Cities and towns vary anywhere from 20 mph to 55 mph depending on the road.

- Expect high utilities bills

Not necessarily, however heating with oil, your cost will vary. Less so if you "lock in a price" (contract) each year.

Sales tax ts 6.25 percent of the sales price or rental charge on tangible personal property There are exemptions:

Sales of food and clothing:

Clothing generally is exempt from the sales tax. However, any individual clothing item costing more than $175 is taxable on the amount over the basic exemption. Thus, the tax on a $200 suit would be $1.56 — 6.25 percent of the $25 taxable amount. If a number of items are being purchased, any applicable sales tax is charged only on individual items over $175, no matter what the total bill.

While apparel designed solely for athletic or protective use is taxable, items that are also suitable for everyday use are exempt.

Materials that become part of articles of clothing, such as name tags sewn to a garment, are generally tax-exempt. Jewelry and accessories generally are taxable.

Sales of food for human consumption, other than meals sold by a restaurant, generally are tax-exempt. Sales of individual items of clothing costing $175 or less also generally are exempt. (Sales tax is due only on the amount over $175 per item.)

Sales of periodicals:

Periodicals such as newspapers and magazines generally are exempt. Newsletters, however, generally are not treated as newspapers and may be taxable.

Admission sales:

Sales of tickets to such activities as sporting and amusement events are exempt.

Sales of utilities and heating fuel to residential users, small businesses and certain industrial users:

Sales of gas, steam, electricity or heating fuel for residential purposes are exempt. Residential use includes use in any dwelling where people customarily reside on a long-term basis, whether or not the occupants of the dwelling are the purchasers of the fuel.

You will pay a motor vehicle excise tax of 2½% of the valuation (Blue Book) of your vehicle annually.

If you buy a car, you will pay sales tax, at the RMV when first registering the car. You DON'T pay it for bringing a car you already own as long as it was registered to you elsewhere.

Oh, yeah Regular income tax is 5.3%

• eh, boston..i live 75 miles away in maine and most people i know including myself get turned off quick with boston...rents are probably even higher than your guess of $1500 especially for a 2 bdrm in a good part of the city..btw, you probably wont be able to have a car if thats important to you, if you do want a car you'll have to pay a huge monthly bill for it and sit in major traffic that boston is notorious for..in my opinion i would rather live in NYC for than boston especially considering boston is almost the same price as ny