What does the red tape for flying mean?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • John R
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think the other replies are taking the question too literally. Things like safety pins, control locks, engine and pitot covers have red "remove before flight" streamers attached, but few would call that "red tape".

I suspect the question may have been prompted by a current airline commercial that claims to "save frequent fliers from red tape".

The term "red tape" refers to rules, regulations, and the paperwork associated with them. The term comes from the practice of using red ribbons to bundle stacks of paper government and legal records that goes back several centuries.

From a pilots standpoint, any paperwork required for a flight could be considered "red tape" - filing a flight plan, the passenger manifest, etc. Even when flying a light plane VFR with no flight plan, there is some "red tape" involved. There are documents ( aircraft registration, radio license, logs, medical certificate, etc) that you must have in the plane if stopped for a ramp inspection. I've flow small planes for 20+ years, I've never had a ramp check.

As to the Southwest commercial, they are simply trying to show that they have fewer rules about redeeming your frequent flier miles for free flights. All airlines restrict the free flights they give away during peak travel times, Southwest is not quite as restrictive as most airlines. Since there is little or no paperwork or forms required to redeem miles from any airline, their claim to "free people from red tape" is just advertising BS.

• 10 years ago

It's a safety measure to alert the airmen (mechanics or pilots) that something needs to be done on that area before flight departure. It usually has to do with covers that must be removed from dust and/or moisture sensitive systems

Source(s): Aviation mechanic
  • 10 years ago

could be many reasons, but i believe the primary reason is "remove before flight"

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

It means "Remove before flight".

Source(s): Naval Aviator
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.