Is being Jewish a race or ethnicity?

On my Father's side I have Scottish (My last name is Bell) heritage and German heritage. On my Mother's side I have almost full German heritage (My Mother's family on her mother's side is all German and half German on her Father's side). My great-great-grandmother on my mother's side had the... show more On my Father's side I have Scottish (My last name is Bell) heritage and German heritage. On my Mother's side I have almost full German heritage (My Mother's family on her mother's side is all German and half German on her Father's side). My great-great-grandmother on my mother's side had the last name Getz or Götz, so my mother is claiming that we are Jewish. Is being Jewish a race or an ethnicity? We are Christian Protestants and no one in our family practices Judaism. Would you consider us Jewish? I'm not sure if being Jewish is truly a race, or if Hitler has just convinced the world that Jews are a race so he could call them inferior and try to kill them out. Please give me some insight.
12 answers 12