Exterminator sprayed for roaches, how long till they die?

Here's my story: Sometime in February I came in my room, rustled some papers on my desk & a german cockroach skattered and fell in a bag which I threw away. At that time, I didn't know it was a cockroach...but then in March I found a dead American cockroach in my living room. I thought maybe it had been sprayed in another apt or something, and since it was dead I didn't worry about it too much. But then just last Sunday, I opened my kitchen cabinet under the sink (light on & everything) and there was an American roach on my cabinet door, which quickly scattered around the door & back into its crevice in the cabinet. I called my landlord Monday, and she had me completely empty my kitchen, 3 hall closets & my bathroom cabinet, and they had Orkin come in and "spray the hell out of the place". So I came home Wednesday night, after the spraying, and found a dying German cockroach about a foot from my heat-vent (boiler vent, goes along the full length of wall on one side of each room). So now I realized what it was and that it wasn't just a problem under my sink. I've been working hard at getting my apt back to normal & unpacking everything, checking every tote and every item for bugs/eggs, and haven't found anything (knock on wood). I was beginning to feel comfortable again & started working on getting my dishes put away in the kitchen, when I saw an American cockroach crawling on the boiler vent! It popped in and out of the vent like 6 times (it'd see me coming & hide..I even swiped at it once & missed) and I FINALLY was able to kill it with a shoe & took it out to the trash.

My question is - why did I find one alive??? Have they just not all died off yet?? How long does it take? They sprayed Weds at about 3pm so its been over 24 hours. I have heard of the boric acid & everything, but I have a curious toddler & 2 cats...and the spray Orkin uses is safe. How often should he be spraying, because they didn't mention coming back to do it again? How would I have gotten two types of cockroaches, is that normal?? Also, how bad does this sound, am I looking at an infestation or is this still manageable? I'm bug-phobic, have never experienced cockroaches, and am having a really hard time dealing with this...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Lar
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

after treatment you can see activity for a couple of weeks, usually just a few days, but can take longer....if you are in a home with 150 to 200 linear feet, if there are any roaches in the exterior walls it can take time for them to find their way outside , or inside where you would see them... as far as two types of cockroaches, how were they identified...more times than not I get panic calls from homeowners who have identified their German roach and when I get there, what they have in a baggie is just another species nymph. Not knowing how Orkin treated your home it is hard to say why you found one alive other than it was somewhere where their spray was not...but if it was say inside an unpacked box at time of treatment and later crawled out, it would not of been exposed to where they had treated. American roaches are an outside roach coming in and if it was warm enough for them to be active in February outside and there was no sort of chemical barrier to keep them out you would have the random roach showing up. After 10 days if you are still finding roaches, dead or alive you may want to have orkin come back out to see what is going on

Source(s): me-over 22 years doing pest control
  • coxjr
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Spray For Roaches

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Exterminator sprayed for roaches, how long till they die?

Here's my story: Sometime in February I came in my room, rustled some papers on my desk & a german cockroach skattered and fell in a bag which I threw away. At that time, I didn't know it was a cockroach...but then in March I found a dead American cockroach in my living room. I thought...

Source(s): exterminator sprayed roaches long die: https://shortly.im/0VVSe
  • 9 years ago

All you need to do is call the exterminator and ask THEM all the questions you've asked here.

Source(s): Common sense
    • 3 years agoReport

Don't comment if you have nothing good to say.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.