How hard can I expect it to be in regards to achieving a 3.9-4.0 in college?

Assume I'm going to go to a mid-level university, such as Depaul or Loyola.

I've also been taking honors classes all my life and AP classes throughout high school. I get A's and B's in said classes. How much harder (or easier) can I expect college to be relative to the honors-level curriculum in high school? (I took regular-level math classes in high school, however.)

Also assume I'm going to major in the Humanities, i.e. Sociology or Psychology. I'm also an above-average writer, receiving praise (at least as my writing fully developed) from even the tough English teachers and I can now manage getting almost an A plus with average effort in my honors English classes.

Best Answer

I'm a student at Loyola and achieving a 3.9 is unheard of. I have a 3.3 through three years here and I rarely go out and actually work hard. My roommate is pre-med, doesn't play video games, watch TV, or party on the weekends (spends all of his time studying) and he's got a 3.7 gpa.

My guess is that De Paul will be much easier if you care most about getting a high GPA since Loyola has a lot of really academic students. Remember, the grading curve stays the same at all schools, even if a certain school has a lot of party kids. So if you think you can avoid falling into the social life trap at those types of universities, I would recommend that you find a party school and just crush the GPA curve since you may be taking class with a lot of slackers.

And just a warning, psychology is one of the most popular majors at Loyola. The psychology community was on my floor freshman year and I'd say that about 70% dropped that major when they figured out that a 3.6 gpa is REALLY hard to get. I'm not trying to scare you, I just want you to understand how ridiculously easy high school is going to look once/if you start at LUC.

Source(s): Loyola student. Experience.

I have a 4.0 in college with no problem. One of the main reasons it is a lot easier than high school is because you don't have all that crazy drama associated with it. The petty gossip and popularity cliques just don't exist (and if they do, i am sure it is in small numbers) which allows for so much more time for academics. I have also found that professors teach much more effectively than my high school teachers ever did. This may also be because there are no "problem students" in the college classroom. If a student in high school is disrespectful the teacher has to deal with it, however in college if a student is disrupting a class the prof will throw them out. I think you will do great.. Good luck!

I'm a college sophomore with a 4.0 GPA. I also take a very heavy courseload every semester (17-20 hours), as I intend to graduate a year early. As long as you set aside ample time to study and do homework without being distracted/rushed you will be fine. Attend class regularly and take good notes. If you find you are having trouble with the course material, contact the professor or teaching assistant, and ask if they could help you out, or recommend a good tutor. Honestly, college courses are not much different than AP courses. I've had a few Sociology classes myself and found them quite enjoyable and easy to manage.