Why are hallways and stairways popular to hang pictures?

And does this have any metaphorical/subconscience meanings?

Favorite Answer

It's not necessarily metaphorical - many people have art collections or pictures that overflow into these spaces.. Rule of thumb is personal family photos should be limited in the public spaces and more liberally displayed in personal spaces in the home. Hallways are the perfect place to display some "family history" - Stairways on the other hand, allow for groupings which may be too large for other walls or space in the home. They are accommodating to large pieces of art as well. But there's no rule that says you have to put anything there :)

Source(s): experience

I don't think there is any hidden meaning to hanging pictures in stairways and hallways. Both often offer large expanses of bare wall,and people like to look at family portraits or art work in their homes. I've seen very attractive "stair step", staggered groupings of framed family portraits that sometimes mimic the elevation of the stairs, on walls adjacent to stairways. I've seen quotations, scripture, inspirational words, etc. in the form of vinyl lettering, placed among the pictures.

In my own hallway, I have one long (4 and 1/2 ft.) framed print at the end of hallway going into the living room. it is visible from the living space. In the hallway near my bedroom, I have a smaller framed print of a young woman, with a rustic metal key hanging above it. Both pieces of art work fill otherwise blank spaces, add texture and color to the walls, and give me pleasure when I look at them while walking down the hall, which I do dozens of times a day.

Hallways and Stairways are good places to hang unusual pieces or art that you love but that doesn't "match" or go with furnishings in other rooms.

• Cammie

There is no bizarre meaning that I know of to hang pictures on walls.

Pictures look great in hallways and stairways.