how to get w-2 from irs?

how to get copies of lost w-2 statements from the internal revenue service

6 Answers

  • Bobbie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    No the copies of the W-2 would not be available from the IRS.

    A transcript would be available BUT the transcript will not include any state income tax information on it.

    You can go to the website and use the search box for the 4506-T form.

    Request for Transcript of Tax Return

    If you haven’t received your W-2, follow these four steps:

    1. Contact your employer if you have not received your W-2; contact your employer to inquire if and when the W-2 was mailed. If it was mailed, it may have been returned to the employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address. After contacting the employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for them to resend or to issue the W-2.

    2. Contact the IRS if you do not receive your W-2 by February 14th; contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your name, address, city and state, including zip code, Social Security number, and phone number and have the following information:

    *.Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number

    *.Dates of employment

    *.An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2010. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

    3. File your return you still must file your tax return or request an extension to file April 18, 2011, even if you do not receive your Form W-2. If you have not received your Form W-2 by the due date, and have completed steps 1 and 2, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified.

    4. File a Form 1040X On occasion, you may receive your missing W-2 after you have filed your return using Form 4852, and the information may be different from what you reported on your return. If this happens, you must amend your return by filing a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

    Form 4852, Form 1040X, and instructions are available at or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676

    Use the search box at the website for any of the below referenced items.

    *.Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement

    *.Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

    *.Instructions for Form 1040X

    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful and good luck to you. 05/12/2011

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    You don't get a W-2 from IRS unless your are an IRS employee and even they get theirs from the Department of Agriculture because IRS doesn't handle its own payroll.

    You can get a transcript of information submitted on Forms W-2, 1099 and others using IRS Form 4506-T at It will not have state withholding information on it.

  • 9 years ago

    For 2009 and prior years, visit IRS website and download Form 4506-T

    For 2010 IRS doesn't have them available until maybe late July.

    good luck

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    you don't get w-2's from the IRS - you SEND them to the IRS

    contact your employers for that year

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    The IRS doesn't issue W2's. Your employer does. Call them.

  • tro
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    you can't

    first of all the originals are filed with the Social Security Administration and I have yet to get one from that agency

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.