Do any states NOT require auto insurance?

Are there any states which DON'T require auto insurance? If not, how is it that every state requires it? Surely the federal government must be requiring the states to require it?

And if that's OK, then why shouldn't health insurance be mandatory in the same way?

Some of you will say "only drivers are required to buy auto insurance, and driving is a privilege, not a requirement", but it sure seems like a requirement in today's America (unless you live in NYC or Washington DC - those are the ONLY American cities with half-decent public transportation).

In any case, in a wealthy, civilized society, basic health care should not be a privilege - it should be a basic human right. Obviously we can't afford gold-standard health care for everyone, but we can afford a decent level of care, especially when it would SAVE money (preventive medicine, early detection, etc.).

Right?

Jay - "As for your contention that universal health care will SAVE money, you are deluded." Really? So then why is it that America, right now, spends 18% of GNP on health care, while every other civilized country spends half that (~9% of GNP) and is able to provide decent health care to all of their citizens? Do you LIKE living in a third world country where homeless people die in the streets?

Favorite Answer

No, all states do not require car insurance but they do require financial responsibility to operate a vehicle on the roadway. While not all states require drivers to buy Liability insurance to show financial responsibility, 49 states (plus the District of Columbia) do. New Hampshire is the only state that does not have compulsory auto insurance liability laws, as of June 2010.

Most of the people who think driving isn't a right are from the NYC or Washington DC/Baltimore areas not needing nor caring about driving. You just answered youre own question there!!.

They live in a protective bubble not fully aware or grasping those who are not so lucky to have decent public transportation which is 75 percent of the country at the very least.

Plus there is not a shred of evidence that licenses actually make the road safer as people will just drive without em and only get caught because they have a moving violation.

If there weren't driving licenses people would still be punishable for offenses and go to prison for serious offenses in which their motor is taken away.

In 1970 insurance in NJ was not mandatory, but you had to buy a bond for 50.00 Then in the late 70's no fault insurance rip off came to the state at first I was pissed that I had to pay 90.00 dollars a yr. Then I went to California for 13 yrs when I came back to NJ I had to pay now 476.00 for the year. later on I moved to Fla. and had to pay 109.00 for 6 months. I extortion rates for insurance are out of control. They the Insurance Company's take way more then they give out. and still make billions in profit. There has to be a more fair system then this corporate thievery

Forced insurance is EXTORTION. It doesn't matter that I believe you should have insurance if you can afford it, but FORCING the entire driving population to purchase a product for a FOR PROFIT company is Extortion. The same holds true for the farce called the ACA. Anything that we are forced to buy and are punished for not buying where the money goes to FOR PROFIT companies is EXTORTION.

Every heard of "random insurance checks". Seems the stat of Oregon is "randomly" checking those of us that are politically active and actively fighting the corporate control of this country. I have a suspended licence because I speak out and I let our "representatives" know that I am not a happy camper! If we all speak up and stop purchasing auto insurance or create co-ops for insurance things will change. But too many people are too wimpy and too selfish to care about other's welfare. So I continue to fight on my own. GIVE IT UP ! I Will NOT quit fighting no matter how much you harass me!

New Hampshire does not require auto insurance for it's drivers... It also does not require seat belts or helmets for adults.

Yeah liabity is what your searching for i think. If the car is ten years old, then yea CT i know requires it for sure.

• Janian

I agree, in England health care is provided for all, if you don't like it you can buy private health insurance.

Health insurance is also a lot cheaper in England because people can always just use the NHS.

• ?

I recommend that you try this web site where you can compare quotes from the best companies: http://insurancetocompare.info/index.html?src=1YAs...

RE :Do any states NOT require auto insurance?

Right?

Update: Jay - "As for your contention that universal health care will SAVE money, you are deluded." Really? So then why is it that America, right now, spends 18% of GNP on health care, while every other civilized country spends half that (~9% of GNP) and is able to provide decent health care to all of their citizens? Do you LIKE living in a third world country where homeless people die in the streets?

2 following 1 answer

• Jay

How many times does this need to be explained? Car insurance is only mandatory if you drive. Those who do not drive are not required to have it. What is so hard to understand about this? As for your contention that universal health care will SAVE money, you are deluded.

no